grout, sealing, and finishing up [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout, sealing, and finishing up

newby128821
07-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Hope it's okay to start a new thread, I've been questioning under thinset/mortar subject, but I'm on to other issues. In order for me to finish up my shower, I wanted to ask about the following:

1. Is it possible to, and how do I clean out the mortar that came up between tiles when setting. I tried to get most of it when setting, but inevitably missed some areas? A dremel grinder maybe? any ideas?
2. On my floor which is 6X6 mesh of 2" slate tiles, I know I need to seal them, do I do so before grouting with spectralock or after spectralock application...or both?
3. When I apply the spectralock for <1/8" grout line, do I need to alter the mix (their website video suggested leaving out some of the color pack to keep the mix thinner to work into smaller grout lines)? Will this work? Another suggestion?
4. With a little extra slope near the drain, my tiles next sink a little below the lip of the drain so I'm going to build up a little bit below them and re-set. Can I use the thinset or should I go back to good old mud?

Thanks for the responses!

John

Sponsored Links

muskymike
07-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi John,
1- I use a grout saw or a utility knife.
2- Seal them before and after you grout.
3-Dunno, never used the stuff. I'm sure if the video shows you can do it then go for it.
4-You can use thinset as long as it's not more than a 1/4".

BEERxTaco
07-26-2006, 06:55 AM
I'll add a suggestion for removing leftover thinset between the tiles. I tried dremel, rotozip, power tools just don't hack it. My best results came from using a grout removal tool (the one that looks like a screwdriver except the tip is a conical shaped steel ribbed piece) and a very sharp chisel and hammer, driving into the joints longways at a low angle which pretty much knocks the stuff out. I use the grout removal tool then to clean up the joint.

newby128821
07-26-2006, 11:27 AM
will those tools (grout saw, grout remover tool) work in very narrow lines (1/8th to 1/16th)? What about a cutout tool with the right bit and a steady hand?

Thanks

BEERxTaco
07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
The tapered grout removal tool works in pretty small joints... chisel too. I never tried the saw, but I would think it would be useful as well..