The Big One [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : The Big One

johnnymac
08-23-2001, 12:00 PM
The time has come. The design committe has approved the matte tile/gloss fixture combo. This weekend I'm going to tile the tub surround. I'm a little nervous. With the floor, I had gravity working in my favor; now gravity is going to be working against me. Any last minute advice and words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
08-23-2001, 01:11 PM
Don't worry so much. The tile will stackout fine, take your time, be sure your layout is what you want and stay with it.

Install the larger (5' X) wall first, then the two smaller walls. I'm not exactly sure what you are doing but you should layout so that the smaller walls layout begins at the outside and runs to the corners. It's ok to layout so that these walls "cut" into the corners of the large wall.

Don't forget to leave out for your dishes when you tile past those locations.

johnnymac
08-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Bud, That makes 2 of us - I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing either. Knowing what I'm doing is not a prerequisite. If it was, I don't think I'd do much of anything! :D
I've spent some time laying out the back wall using CAD because of the slightly off centered window. Had I just started tiling, I would have ended up with a strip 5/8" along one side of the window. Now I have a layout that looks good - at least on paper. I just have to make the wall look like the drawing. :eek:
Here is my all important last minute question; What do I do with the gap between the bottom of the CBU and the ledge of the tub? I guess it's about 1/4". Do I caulk it? What kind of caulk? Do I just leave the empty space and let the first row of tile cover it?

John Bridge
08-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Fill that crack with a bead of silicone before you start.

The custom builder I sub to once told me he didn't mind narrow cuts as long as they were done neatly. I've found that to prove true. I used to go to all sorts of extremes to avoid "skinnies." I still try to avoid them, of course, but I don't really get upset if they happen. I just pay extra special attention to them. I mean, every little sliver is perfectly done.

As Bud indicated, don't sweat the small stuff. It'll look like a million bucks. Are you taking pictures?

Bud Cline
08-23-2001, 04:29 PM
That's right, silicone the gap at the tub then cross that gap with your tile.

Leave some breathing room between the tile and the tub to be caulked later.

If I had to make a decision of a small (sliver) cut either at the tub or at the window, I think I would move it to the window. This may not be your situation, I'm just thinking aloud.

If your tiling to the ceiling I would consider the window and the tub in the layout and take whatever happens at the ceiling. You can't make it all come out perfect.

When you determine the layout of your end (small) walls, your horizontal positioning will already be determined for you when you position the large wall. If you want your plumbing to center up in your tile or a grout line, give that some thought before starting your end wall tile. When you actually begin setting the endwall tile continue the rows all the way to the back wall so that you are sure to hit your "corner mark" each time. This way your horizontal groutlines will line up around the whole surround.

I leave a small gap at the corners also and later caulk the corners.

johnnymac
08-24-2001, 06:38 AM
John,
Yes, I've been taking pictures from the start throughout the different phases of the remodel. I don't know how they'll look since I'm using those disposable cameras and the room is only 8x5. I made sure to get a lot of before pictures so that no matter how it turns out, I can always point to the pictures and say "It still looks better than this, Hon". At least I hope I can. :D

John Bridge
08-24-2001, 02:54 PM
Okay, here's what you do. When you get the pic developed, have them loaded onto a Kodak Pic Disc. Then pop the disc into drive A and email the one's you like. If there's a bunch of them, I'll make a directory for them and we can all have a look. If only one or two we'll post them right here on the board.

I think everybody around here enjoys seeing the projects they've commented on and offered advice on.