cutting mosaic tile (Daltile Octagon & Dot) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : cutting mosaic tile (Daltile Octagon & Dot)

mbeak
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm embarking on a floor tile job for my 7' x6' ft bathroom with Daltile octagon & dot 12" x 12" sheets...

What cutting implement do you recommend? I thought I could get by with nippers because they are fairly small tiles. but now I'm thinking I should get either a scoring-type tile cutter unit or possibly a wet saw because I would need to do an awful lot of nipping. Will using a tile cutter or a wet saw with mosaic pose any special challenges or danger since the tile are mounted on mesh backer material? Should each mosaic tile be removed from the mesh and cut seperately or do you usually cut the whole sheet?

Any other comments about working with mosaic tiles appreciated. (All the tile installation documentation I've gone through only talks about larger square tiles, not mosaic sheets).

Thanks,
Gina

Sponsored Links

kevjob
07-24-2006, 03:06 PM
i used dal tile windmill 12x24 on bath floor and used my wet bridge saw but a tile saw will work fine if you have one

NVC
07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Gina,

I use a 4" or 5" dry cut diamond blade (smooth/continuous rim) in a Makita grinder for the octogons, and a wetsaw for the dots.

You can use a wet saw, but I'd dry the saw table with a towel before putting 'em down and then have a table nearby to lay them face side down and blot them with another dry towel, or they'll come off the mesh. (why I like the dry cut)

The dots come in 12"x12" sheets also, and I drop 'em in a bucket of water for 5 minutes and they'll come right off the scrim/mesh.

Also, I cut the mesh with a razor knife where the octogons interlock as they get tucked up and fight ya when it's all goopy with thinset (just a quick 'V' cut)

hope this helps,
Mark

Mountain Tile
07-24-2006, 07:52 PM
wet saw is definitely a good way to go. a little trick that i use for mosaics, place your tiles to be cut whether a full sheet or just a few pieces at a time on a piece of cardboard and run the cardboard with tiles on it through wet saw. :goodluck: