How to handle Durock to Drywall Seam? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to handle Durock to Drywall Seam?

Christopher Dopp
07-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi there,

I am working on a bathroom remodel where I plan to have marble mosiac tiles go slighty more than halfway up the walls. I removed the existing drywall from the bottom half of the walls and have put up Durock cement board in its place. I know that I'm supposed to use thin-set and alkali-resistant tape on all of the seams of the Durock, but how should I handle the durock to drywall seam? It is my plan to have the tile go up just past the seam to cover it. Should I use the same alkali-tape and thinset to fill the seam? Drywall mud?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
07-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Either one is OK, if the joint is in the dry area (outside the shower). If the joint is in teh wet area, then you shouldn't have any drywall there.

Harry
07-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi Christopher

Installing just past the drywall/cementboard seam is usually the best way to keep a paintable surface outside the tiled perimeter. Go ahead and use the mesh tape with thinset ... it will be covered with tile.
If there are areas of tape/mortar uncovered with tile ... just skim coat with drywall compound and finisih as you would any other drywall area.
:)

Christopher Dopp
07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, the walls are outside of the shower area.

Thanks