patching in to existing tile floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : patching in to existing tile floor

crazydoesit
07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi, I have a large 16x16 slate floor area, it looks to be installed on a cement/mud surface (subfloor, tarpaper, cement with wire inside). I removed a pony wall and some cabinets and want to add tile to these areas, the pony wall is down to sub floor, how do I patch it to be level to the concrete sub surface? The pony wall area is a L shape, 5 inches wide and 6 feet long total. On one leg the tile will stratle the future patch and on the other leg it will but up to the existing. Also I need to chip out a couple of tiles and they are set with epoxy, any sugestions?

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
If the strip where the wall was is lower than the subfloor that's under the mud floor, hope it's 1 1/4" of mud, you can set plywood down in there, then mud over it to the height of the old mud floor, then set your tile even with the old, if the old mud is on top of the subfloor that the wall was on, just mud that section, tar paper, lath and mud.:)