Limestone question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Limestone question

newhouse41
07-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I just had over 1000 square feet of chocolate limestone h/f laid on the floor for my new house. Everything turned out great except there is a circular swirl on the surface of the tile when direct sunlight hits it. It is not residue as I tried to clean it off. It looks almost like the manufacturer buffed the tile in a circular motion. I am not sure if that is involved in the honing process or not. It looks almost like a buffer mark.

It was not from the install guys as they cleaned the tile very well after grouting. I watched them while they cleaned it and they did not use a circular motion. They think it was from the manufacturer.

I need to seal this tile asap but want to get this issue resolved because I know once I seal it then the ballgames over. Thanks

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
07-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Is this on all the tile? Or just a few? :)

newhouse41
07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Maybe 1/4 or less. The chocolate limestone has many different looking tiles color wise. (Like noche travertine). The tiles with the problem do look a tiny bit shinier (sp?) as well

Tool Guy - Kg
07-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Seems like your theory may be correct. Do you have any pics? You won't be able to post them because you have under 10 posts at this site so far, but you could email me a link to the pics or the pics themselves and I'll post them here for you.....that is, if you have any. :)

Hamilton
07-17-2006, 11:05 PM
If this stone has a honed finish i would let it go. natural stone with
a honed finish tends to develop a petina. A shine acheived by use.
Its not a high polish but a semi gloss type shine. Its the look really.
If the swirl is engrained deep into the stone you may want to have
the floor refinished. Refinishing would be cheaper than a reinstall.
Please post pics or send them to a moderator via email for further confirmation
of your problem.

joh
07-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Hi newhouse41, it sounds like you are seen the saw marks. A simple re-hone would help you a great deal. If you are going to do a re-hone why not do a full grind in place. By grinding the floor completely flat it would make maintains much easer in the long run.

newhouse41
07-18-2006, 12:26 PM
It is very hard to show in a picture because it is only noticeable when direct sunlight hits it. I spoke to the manufacturer (Castelli Marble in Cleveland) and they said it the machine marks from when the limestone was honed. He also mentioned that a petina would develope in time and maybe lessen the marks.

The question I have is can I seal now or should I wait and see if the marks lessen? Also what would the cost be to have them rehoned or grinded in place as mentioned above. Thanks.

joh
07-18-2006, 03:02 PM
newhouse41, I will check with the Natural Stone Restoration Alliance and see if any one covers your area. As far as what type of sealer, that would depend on the stone it self and the location. I have notice that this site sell a brand of sealer call stone tech. Stone tech makes a sealer call bullet proof that may work for you. If your concern at this point is only staining, go ahead and seal you stone. Sealing your stone would not be a problem if you decided to re-hone are do a ground in place.

newhouse41
07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I already bought Aquatech Enrich and seal; I think I am just going to clean the tile best I can and seal it. Hopefully over time it will look better. If not, then on to plan B (or maybe C). Thanks again

doitright
07-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi NewHouse41, Welcome! :)

Please share a first name with us.

I am very familiar with the swirl marks of which you are speaking about. They are a part of the honing process from various factories. I would not be concerned about them. If the floor is grout free and clean, I would go ahead and seal.

The sealer you mentioned is hopefully Aqua Mix Enrich n Seal. I suggest doing a TEST area first. This will allow you to get accustomed to the product and it's characteristics. This particular product is very high in solids content. Make sure you work in small areas, and do not allow it to dry on the surface.

Since you have about 1000 sq. ft. I would also consider renting a low rpm floor machine to buff off any remaining residue when you are finished.