backerboard interface with Florestone pan problem [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : backerboard interface with Florestone pan problem

dmiller
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
This is my first tile project so thanks in advance for your help.

I'm at the beginning stage of the project. There's a Florestone pan installed by my plumber. I've got some 1/2" Hardibacker and 15# felt ready to go. However, I'm unsure about where to end the backer. Florestone suggests stopping above the flange and having the tile drop down into the pan where caulk would be used to fill the gap between the tile and the pan's lip. This seems easy. I'd just caulk the gap between the top of the flange and the backer. Of course I'd allow felt to extend past the backer, overlap the flange, and go into the pan. Would this work?

This is not how I've seen it suggested on this forum and elsewhere. Instead, furring out the studs and bringing the backer and felt into the pan is recommended.

This brings up a concern. I need to fur it out 1/4". Does this will mean that I will need to fur out the rest of the studs on that wall to match the drywall with the backer? If so, what a pain and what happens where the drywall meets the door frame? Won't that leave a 1/4" gap when I put on the trim (The room is unfinished, but I hung the door.). The furring will have pushed the wall out past the door frame. There must be an easier way that I'm missing.

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links

Trask
07-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey David, Welcome to where the fun begins. :wave:

I've done it both ways. I almost always defer to the manf. specs. (this covers our rear end if there is a problemn down the road :shrug: ) or call for clarification if I feel it's a very poor method they are calling for. Fir the wall out and you eliminate the pesky gap at the bottom. I don't think it'd be the end of the world if you don't fir the wall as long as you get the vapor barrier to overlap the flange.
It isn't hard to get some 1/4" firring strips and nail them over the studs before you paper. I think this is the best way to do it even though it's more work. Sometimes this creates a problem at the end wall of an open shower(the extra 1/4" of firring) and that's when I've not done it.

Kenny
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
David wrote "what happens where the drywall meets the door frame (when you have to fur the entire wall out 1/4")? Won't that leave a 1/4" gap when I put on the trim ".

What does happen? I'm in the same boat!

dmiller
07-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the help Trask. I'm starting to lean toward not furring it out. Unless I get any strong advice otherwise. It's just easier for a number of reasons, and it is on the manufacturer's installation diagram. It seems like it would have been best if the pan had been notched in to start with. Unfortunately, there won't be a next time for many years in this house. By then I will have forgotten all that I learned this time. This is a great board!