Installing slate or stone on exterior slab. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Installing slate or stone on exterior slab.

Vantage
07-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Hello,

I have a question regarding installing slate,stone,or otherwise on an exterior conc. slab. This will be exposed to freeze/thaw conditons (MN) and I was wondering if there is a recommended material to use as far as product and as far as setting material. I think any porous material would be out of the question??? I suppose a porcelian would be the best bet? How about grout, any additives needed there?

Thanks alot guys! Your help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

EEEO
07-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I'd stay away from porous stone such as travertine. If slate, I'd be sure it's of high quality, and even then it's gonna be susceptible to some scaling. I'd use a highly modified mortar that's rated for exterior freeze/thaw conditions. I believe Tec's Superflex is so rated. Granted, Menard's(my previous supplier of Tec mortar) no longer carries Tec products and now stocks Mapei. I haven't needed to find an equivilent in Mapei yet, but someone here should know. Or you could simply read the bag or contact the manufacturer for their recommendations. Regarding grout, I'd definitely use a latex or polymer modified grout or grout additive. Again, I'd check with the manufacturer for their recommendations.

Also, if you really wanted to insure a good installation, you could use a membrane such as Ditra between the slab and tile. In that case, you'd need to use the mortar recommendations of Schluter for your installation.