Grout scratched my tile,,, Now What??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout scratched my tile,,, Now What???

fishez3
08-22-2001, 05:56 PM
I just finished a small bathroom project at my house, and I couldn't have done it without this board. Thanks to all the previous posters, and especially all you regulars!

I installed my glazed ceramic tiles (12 X 12's) and grouted with a "polyblend" grout. I followed the manufacturer's guidelines, and cleaned as best as I could. 24 hours after I finished, I noticed a "haze" on the tiles, so I buffed off with a clean, dry towel. As I was cleaning, I noticed that all the tiles were scratched along the grout lines. The center 90 percent of the tile looks perfect, but the outside edges have some serious scratching. I think that the scratches are from me forcing the grout in with my float. Can you force it to hard???

Aside from ripping it up and starting over(not an option :-), is there anything I can do to lessen the severity of the scratches? Buffing??? Sealing???

Is this a byproduct of cheap tile, or did I do something wrong?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-22-2001, 07:11 PM
Well, no, I don't think you scratched the tiles based on what you've said. 12x12s nowadays are pretty tough critters, even if you got them at Home Depot.

I think maybe you still have some grout residue near the edges. I think you should buy some grout cleaner (acidic) from Home Depot or from a tile store and follow the directions.

Others may have better advice (where are you, others?).

Another thought. Try vinegar before you make the run to Home Depot.

Rob Z
08-22-2001, 07:27 PM
Yes, it's hard to imagine that Custom's sanded grout scratched your tile.

My advice for using any acid type cleaner is to start out with the weakest formulation that you can use, and increase strength only when you aren't getting results.

Use a scotch bright type pad, gloves, goggles, and A LOT OF WATER during cleanup.

Pay close attention the the directions on the container of grout haze cleaner that indicate how long to let the grout cure before use.

Let us know how this works out. Don't panic yet.

rob

fishez3
08-22-2001, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try, and let you know. Your replies have given me renewed hope!

fishez3
08-27-2001, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sure you've heard this before....You were right! Thanks so much for your help. This board, and its contributors(sp?), provide an excellent resource for people, like myself, that would rather do it themselves, than pay somebody else to do it. Thanks again!

John Bridge
08-28-2001, 05:36 AM
de nada.

Keep us in mind for your next project.

Unregistered
10-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Sorry but not clear if you tried the vinegar option or you had to go for the acid cleaner route.

Thanks in advance for additional info.