how to tell if ceramic tiles are glazed or unglazed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if ceramic tiles are glazed or unglazed

mf915
07-16-2006, 08:07 AM
I see two tiles are on sale in Home Depot now. One is from Eliane and the other from Mulia. I cannot find the word "glazed" anywhere on the manufacturer's box.

Can I assume they are unglazed then ? Anyway to tell by looking at the tiles ?

If they're unglazed ceramic, what sealant would you recommend ? These are for kitchen.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Mike2
07-16-2006, 09:50 AM
The tile from Eliane is glazed porcelain and does not require sealing. I'm not familiar with the Mulia line.

The glazed wear surface on a tile is usually quite visible simply by looking at the sides. The body of the tile below the glazing will be a different color/shade and most likely has a dull matte finish. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.:

I did a bathroom floor earlier this year using 18" Elaine porcelain. This is a Grade I, PEI V rated tile sold exclusively by Home Depot. I found it to be quite uniform in size and very flat BUT....and here's the kicker, there was extreme inconsistency in overall color appearance from case to case. Lot numbers could not be found anywhere on these cartons. I'm not saying this was intentional but there was evidence of stenciled numbers behind other stickers glued onto the boxes. Perhaps that's where the lot numbers are.

So buyer beware. It's cheap tile and you get exactly what you pay for. ;)

mf915
07-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks, Mike.
just got a bunch of Elaine from HD. For less than $1 per sq ft, I guess I wouldn't expect too much :)