New house shower tile problems [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New house shower tile problems

AL1
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Hope I'm posting in the right spot - I've been in my house 1 year - new construction - I had my shower tiled and about 1 month after being in the house the grout lines started to crack in a few different places, well we have had problems with this contractor and finally the owner of the tile company came out and told me all they need to do is regrout - I was worried about water damage or mold behind the tile, esp. in one area, because the tile will move if you push on it (it moves very little, but it does move) this is also an area where the water hits all the time and it is the worse of all the cracked areas - anyway the owner told me he has been in business for 20 years and he can guarantee that there is no mold or water damage - but he can't put it in writing. He says all that needs to be done is re-grouting and acts as though I'm making a big deal out of this. He also said he will remove the tile, but if there is no damage I would have to pay for it! I want to have a meeting with him and the builder to discuss, but my hubbie is tired of dealing with it and wants me to just make an appointment to regrout? I've already had them regrout around my bathtub - which is separate from the shower and that has aready craked - can anyone give me some advise? TIA!!

Sponsored Links

tileguy80
07-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Only one thing causes cracked grout lines, at that is movement. Do your tiles sound hollow if you tap them or no. I would not let them re-grout it until you can figure out why the grout keeps cracking. See if you can find out what type of setting materials were used, and if cementboard or just drywall was used as the substrate. Also we all like pictures if possible

JTG
07-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Have them pull the tile at the inside corner where you have cracks. Will bet a beer that there is no tape on the wall board corner? You may also find that there is only green board on the walls and they used mastic to set the tile. I don't know if you would have any recourse there.
But if the cracks are at the outside corner and they used CBU backer I just know there is no tape.
See this a lot in new homes. The lumber that was used to frame everything is not allowed to cure/dry properly and it moves and twists on new construction a lot in the first year the corners are where you see the problem.
I have also seen tile that are cracked at the 3' elevation on the back wall of tub surrounds. All the way across. Not tape on the CBU
Good Luck
JTG

Carrie1000
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Just wanted to drop you a note because I feel your pain. We had a crack after about a month of moving in and it was never fixed properly by the tile company. About 2 years later, we had mold....ALOT of it!!!! The builder paid an environmental company to rip out the shower and treat the mold. The builder then reinstalled the shower...only to have many, many more cracks about 2 months later. Morale of the story.....Please make sure there is no mold or water damage behind your tiles. Greenboard will turn to mush when water hits it and most builders will only use what's code. I still don't know what to do...that's why I found myself to this website. I wish you the best.