Recommended grout width for 12x12 floor tiles? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Recommended grout width for 12x12 floor tiles?

Rich_M
06-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm doing a 5x8 bathroom floor, slab on grade, using 12 inch ceramic tiles. Is there a recommended grout width for tiles this size? Wife wants to keep it small 1/8 -- I'm thinking 3/16. Advice graciously accepted.

Sponsored Links

mrjetskey
06-26-2006, 03:25 PM
depends on how well the tiles are sized if they are all within a 1/16" in size then a 1/8" grout line is fine if the tiles are not very well gauged you might be better off with a 3/16 to a 1/4"grout line ,plus different tiles look better with wider or thinner grout lines ,all in all if the tiles are well gauged anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4" looks good with 12" tiles go with what your eye tells you looks good!!

NVC
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
What Marvin said.

I like the 3/16" for most 12"x12" (except stone then 32 or 16) but with a tumbled or a pillowed edge, it makes it look bigger after grouting. As suggested, after checking the tile, then play with different sizes and do what ya like.

I'll add that if it's the cleaning of grout, using an epoxy grout like SpectraLock (search the site) cleans up, unlike regular cement grout, but it does cost more. However, depending on the sq. footage, it may be a minor expense. I've started to recommend it to customers when they want a 'bright white' grout and don't want 'light gray' in a year or two.

hope this helps,
Mark

elCid72
06-26-2006, 08:39 PM
If the tiles atre square edge and uniform, small joints can look a little more formal. Tumbled tiles, or chanfered edges, look a little better, and more casual, with slightly wider joints.

But ... the wife is usually right.

TJ
06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
What appearance do the tiles have? If they are stone-like, a very small grout joint helps the illusion of being real stone.

Also, our 1/16" joints turned out looking like 1/8" because of the tiny bevel on the edges of the tile. If we had started with a larger joint, I would have been really unhappy with the result.

Tool Guy - Kg
06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Hi Rich,
The smaller the grout joint, the more amplified any "lippage" between tiles will appear to be. If the floor is wavy, or the tiles not uniform, 3/16" is probably the smallest you can go. But a flat floor and consistant tiles will allow you to shrink that down to 1/8". :)