Topical sealer over penetrating sealer? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Topical sealer over penetrating sealer?

BenTheGrate
06-23-2006, 08:16 PM
This is a post for a friend who doesn't have access at the moment. I told them to seal their slate before they installed it, and they wanted it to look just like the slate I have in one of my bathrooms. So I told them to get the generic Tile Labs matte-finish topical stone sealer at HD. Instead, they got a $100 gallon of Tile Labs penetrating sealer. Good sealer, I'm sure, but it doesn't enhance, and they are NOT pleased with the look after they sealed all 500sf of their slate.

The pentrating sealer did a good job. I had them sprinkle water on it and let it sit for 10 minutes, then wipe it off. They say there's no color change or any indication that the water had gotten into the slate.

But they still want a more enhanced finish.

How insane would they be to attempt a topical sealer by Tile Labs OVER the penetrating sealer?

Thanks everyone!

Ben the Grate in Dallas...er...Baton Rouge

Sponsored Links

Davestone
06-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, technically it will work...but..anytime you use a topical, you get a soft covering over a hard surface,you get it..a chance it will wear and show it.Although the sealer may strengthen the stone to prevent spalling..basically it's a crap shoot. :D