Easy way to mark tiles for cutting? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to mark tiles for cutting?

Todzilla
06-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi guys,

Getting ready to start pre-cutting and dry fitting tiles. What's the best way to mark tiles for cutting? My guess is that for straight walls and corners, just slide the tile to be cut under the nearest full tile and then mark the line where the tiles meet. I'm using 1/8 inch grout lines, so I would account for that. For curved cuts, I'm guessing the same process I used for the hardibacker, which is using a protractor to trace the profile of the curved wall or obstacle. Inputs?

Todd

Sponsored Links

Davy
06-11-2006, 08:40 AM
An easy way to do is to set the nearest full tile in place and measure from it to the wall. If you also want a 1/8 joint against the wall, minus 1/4 inch from the measurement. You might want to measure each end of the tile in case the wall is out of square. ;)

Shaughnn
06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Todd,
For curved cuts, make yourself a template by cutting sheets of kraft paper to the size of your tiles and then lay them where the cut piece will be set. Then use a sharp razor blade to cut the paper exactly to the curve you want to follow. Using this template, you can then trace the curve to your tile. I use this process often when setting to "round step" at the base of a case of stairs.
Shaughnn

Todzilla
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys...

rnelson0
06-12-2006, 05:05 AM
For straight corners, I do the opposite of you. Lay the previous tile flat to the ground, put a 1/2" spacer (1/4" plus your grout line width) against the wall. Then take your next tile and slide it over top of the one laying flat until it's touching the spacer. Mark on both sides where the edge of the tile below is. While the marking is more difficult, I find it infinitely more likely that I'm actually marking it based on the position of the previous piece of tile, than if I try and adjust that piece of tile as the floating unit.