How To Remove a Shower Drain? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile


View Full Version : How To Remove a Shower Drain?

06-01-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a shower drain pan that needs to be replaced. My problem is removing (or unscrewing) the current drain assembly so the new pan can be installed.

The drain appears to be cast iron, though it mounts into what appears to be a PVC pipe down below. The drain assembly seems to be in good shape though it does have rust. I have removed the mud floor around the drain but do not know how to remove it.

1) Does the flange unscrew? How can this flange be removed or loosened?

Below the flange appears to be a metal ring with bolts to secure the drain pan.

2) Can I reuse the drain assembly if It can be loosened, or does it need to be replaced (assuming I can get it off)?

Thanks for anyones help in advance, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Can you unscrew the drain grate itself,or reach under it to loosen the bolts?If it is a pvc pipe below(unusual)i would cut it at the pipe, and glue an extension piece of pipe on and use a new oatey drain,myself,unless you can undue the cast iron easily.

06-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I cannot get to the (pvc) pipe because it is inside the floor. The drain assembly is exposed, and the grate on top was easily removed.

I do know know how to unscrew the flange - does it unscrew? Is there some tool I can get to grip it - I cannot budge it with my hand grip?

06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
There usually are screws holding down the top flange. :)

06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Perhaps I have my terminology wrong. There are screws that hold a metal disk to the shower pan liner. Above this disk is what I am calling the flange. This flange rises to the level of the top of the mud floor, and a grid covering the drain screws into. This flange appears to screw ??? into another cast iron pipe. It looks like a standard multi-piece shower drain.

BUT... how can I remove this flange?

06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Does it look like this?

06-02-2006, 07:23 AM
A Picture of the Drain is Attached. Any Help Appreciated

06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Picture of Drain

06-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Picture taken from above. There are bolts below the top lip (cannot be seen in picture) to secure the drain pan. The top of this picture is where a grid is screwed into and represents close to the tile level of the shower.

Derek Wendelken
06-02-2006, 07:35 AM
I didn't see your attachment, and I am just an amateur myself, but for what it's worth....

I recently had to remove a copper pan and brass drain from a 2nd floor shower. The drain was attached to PVC pipe below. I was able to unscrew and remove the top grating over the drain. Then I was able to wedge a pair of pliers between the housings for the grate screws, and get enough pressure on it to unscrew what I think you're calling the "flange". It had been screwed onto a threaded brass "nipple", which was in turn screwed into a PVC coupler below. After getting the flange off I was able to get a pipe wrench around the nipple and unscrew it. Finally, I bought an inside PVC pipe cutter and was able to cut off the PVC connector that the brass nipple was screwed into from above the floor.

Don't know if this will help....good luck!

Derek Wendelken
06-02-2006, 07:36 AM
Now your picture came through and I think you are dealing with something different....sorry!

06-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Hard to tell for sure from that close-up what the floor is or what type of drain you have there. Sure nasty looking, ain't it. ;)

Concrete slab or wood sub-floor?

If wood, do you have access from below?

Finally, what leads you to believe that drain is attached to plastic. Sure looks like it's going into a cast iron p-trap to me. My current guess is you will have to tear into the floor for removal.


06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Its a concrete floor. The camera did not have good color / shadows, but you can see after a few inches in the pipe its PVC. You see the shower pan liner in part of the picture (not removed yet). The limitations of pictures on this web site prohibit me from posting a hi resolution picture.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

06-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Only way I know of is to chip out the concrete around that flange and cut that pipe off an 1 1/2" or so below the surface of the floor. Rent an electric demo hammer like this Hilti here and all that could be in an hour or so.

06-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Great. By the way, do you normally have to replace the drain assembly when doing a shower pan?

06-03-2006, 09:05 PM
i dont know, id say if its pvc yes, and if its a cast iron setup, no