tiled sunken tub leak [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tiled sunken tub leak

jimc2
05-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I have a 25 year old tiled sunken tub that has been leaking for a while.The tub was built with a plywood form that was hot mopped.The tub has settled and there are splits in the grout under the fawcet. I had a guy that said he could fix it from behind. He removed the damaged plywood and coated the concrete with mastic but it still leaked. I removed and re grouted and sealed the split grout and the leaking stopped but was told it was only a temporary fix. Is there any way to seal the tub from the tub side? This "expert" I had turned out to be a looney tune but since I know nothing of these things he had the advantage.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
05-22-2006, 06:14 AM
I'm afraid that your temporary fix is as good as it gets. You have a structural failure. Until you address that, you will have leaks.

Shaughnn
05-22-2006, 07:07 AM
You could contact a swimming pool company. There are products which can be applied, even with water in a pool, that will seal leaks. But, I'm afraid that Bob's correct about a structural problem that will need addressing before you get to that step.
Shaughnn

macck
05-23-2006, 07:45 AM
Jim,
I' ve seen a lot of sunken tubs over the years
Your problem sounds typical of one thats 25 years old,(and even younger) the framing support has either settled, got wet and rotted, or just loosened from shrinkage over time. Bob is right, get a good carpenter or contractor in there, do a little exploratory demolition and fix it correctly, otherwise, you will just be wasting money and time over and over again.
good luck
Macck

jimc2
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for helping me solve this thing. I did what you said and brought in an experienced plumbing contractor who is going to demo and re build.He sasid we could leave the shower wall tile in place and just re do the tub but can't match the tile......will that look too stupid? the tile is beige with some brown highlights.I am not going to be living here that many more years and doing this is work is being done with selling the joint in mind.

Shaughnn
05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Jim,
From my experience, patching into existing work takes more time and is usually less attractive than a complete renovation. The cost might be a factor if it was a small repair but with the scope of the replacement, I think you'll be ahead in the long run if you just take it down to the studs and rebuild it completely. The completeness will also probably contribute to your resale value where an obvious "patch" might detract?
Best of luck,
Shaughnn