Tiling Bonsal Niche with subway tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling Bonsal Niche with subway tile

bmwpower
05-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I just installed a Bonsal Niche similar to the size of this one. Should I continue the staggered subway tile look into the niche or should I do what the person did with this one (not staggered)?

Sponsored Links

bathroomremodeler
05-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Eric,

If you want to understate the niche, then I would personally keep the same pattern going, but to each their own.

If you want to highlight the niche, you could make the niche out of different type of tiles or different colors. Example, black tiles or granite.

Dean

bmwpower
05-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Another question about this design...

Notice the tile on the outside of the niche, inbetween the upper and lower cubby holes. Why is the tile cut in the middle like that? You could leave this tile whole, correct? Are they going for a certain look?

I photoshopped the image to see what it would look like uncut.

bathroomremodeler
05-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Yes, you could do either way.

Dean

John Bridge
05-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Eric, :)

It's possible the person who did that niche didn't have a tile saw with which to make the L-cuts. Nice work on the niche no matter. :)

austinpower
05-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Eric, check out my niche. I made those L-shaped cuts like you said. Takes a little planning, but the less grout lines the better in my opinion. Except for inside the niche, I also had my grout lines continue through into the niche both vertically and horizontally. I wanted to change up the layout a little.

bmwpower
05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Wow, nice work Efren. This definitely took some planning.

In general, when tiling a niche, should you start at the niche or ? To make the tiles come out the way they do, do you run the tiles out to the corner of the shower to see how they lay? I guess I need to spend some time in the unfinished shower examining some different patterns.

austinpower
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
You can tile in any order that makes sense to you. In my case, I tiled the lower L-shaped piece first, doing a dry fit with the bullnoses. I then tiled the skinny rectangular piece above the L-piece, then the bullnose next to it, then I tiled the top L-piece, and then the bullnose below it. Whew! I did go through a couple of bullnose pieces before getting it right. Don't tell my high school English teacher about my run-on sentences please.

FLWing
05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
"The makers of blue tape are grateful to you for your liberal use of their product..." :)

austinpower
05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I own 3M stock. :lol1:

PaulHG
05-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Can't speak to the issue of the tape -
But I gotta tell you I LOVE those round green spacers -
I had done about half a wall using the white T-shaped spacers (1/16th) and it was HECK since you had to 'tombstone them.
Discovered the green ones at the other store - while browsing -
They are SOO much easier.

GREAT work on the niche's guys -- Hope mine turns out half as nice.