What is "Rectified" Tile? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : What is "Rectified" Tile?

naturecoastliving
05-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us.

We are in Florida. We have chosen a glazed rectified tile by Porcellanix.

What exactly does this mean?

What is the best advice for putting down this tile?

We have a good contractor and we've seen and been impressed with his finished work. (not a common occurance here in Citrus County I might add)

At $1.99/sq ft for porcelain, I couldn't resist it, plus it's just gorgeous. Each tile is labeled on the back with an arrow telling the setter in which direction to lay out the tiles. They butt together almost seamlessly. Is this what rectified means?

But am I buying a nightmare for my tile setter?

Thanks again All!

Sponsored Links

Dog paws
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
My understanding of rectified is that the tile has gone through an additional step during the manufacturing process to assure each tile is exactly the same size. Their calibration is exact.
A tight grout joint can be run without driving the installer crazy.

Scooter
05-19-2006, 06:37 PM
The biggest difference between rectified tiles and other porcelain, or any other ceramic tile, is that while most tile is stamped out and then baked in a kiln, rectified tile is baked in sheets, and then CUT to size AFTER it comes out of the kiln, which is why it can be calibrated to such exact specifications, as opposed to other tiles which usually have as much as a 1/16" difference in size between tiles in the same box, and sometimes, even more than that.

It translates, to some, as allowing tighter grout lines and less maintenance.

NVC
05-19-2006, 11:19 PM
What Michael and Scooter said.

Mark

Madison Mike
05-21-2006, 04:22 PM
But don't think you can have the installer butt them together. There should always be room for a little grout.

Mike
Madison, WI

Davy
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Like the others said, the sizing won't be a problem but this tile might be a nighmare to install flat depending on how flat the substrate is. It's going to install similar to marble with the tight joints, my price would be about the same as for stone. :)