slope on shower curb [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : slope on shower curb

kgstewar
08-20-2001, 08:03 AM
Hello all,

I am a DIYer installing a hybrid CBU-wall, sloped-mortar-floor tile shower and am using a Bonsal ProForm curb. All substrates have been installed and coated with roll-on Laticrete waterproofing. As I was getting ready to tile, I decided to check the slope on the top of the Proform curb (measured perpendicular to its length) and noticed that the right half of the curb is level while the left half slopes slightly _away_ from the shower. I had noticed a tendency for the curb to do this when I was dry-fitting but thought I had gotten the slope right when doing the final install. (Apparently not!) My concern now is that any water percolating through the tile, grout, and thinset on the curb will flow away from the shower drain and towards the adjoining bathroom floor. I have thought of several possible solutions (listed below) but I sure could use some expert advice.

Possible solutions:

1. Bond (using what?) a piece of Proform material to the top of the existing curb with the correct slope. I have the remaining half of the original 8-foot curb, from which such a piece could be cut.

2. Use the existing curb as is, but put a little more thinset on the low side when installing the tiles to create a slope towards the shower. This would slope the tiles but any water percolating down to the curb top would still run towards the bathroom floor.

3. Install the shower door so that it is flush with the inside face of the curb, thus restricting the amount of water that lands on the top of the curb. (Would this look weird?)

4. Rip out the curb and reinstall with the correct slope. This would be a pain and I worry about damaging the CPE pan in the process.

Hopefully I won't have to do option 4, but am willing if its the only real solution.

Thanks!

Kevin

[Edited by on 08-20-2001 at 11:50 AM]

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
08-20-2001, 03:04 PM
How much slope we talkin' here? The curb is only about 4-1/2" wide, the door will deflect most of the water back to the shower. I don't think enough water will ever stand on top of the curb for percolation to be a concern.

I would go with your solution #2, and not lose any sleepover it.

Keep in mind that too much slope (into the shower) will create a "water hold" on the outside of the door at the threshold. Each time the wet door opens it can drip a little water on top of the curb. This water will routinely sit at the outside of the threshold, and evaporate. Too much slope could pool more water than usual and that water may perc before it evaporates.

I don't think you have a major problem.

[Edited by Bud Cline on 08-20-2001 at 05:10 PM]

kgstewar
08-20-2001, 03:14 PM
Thanks Bud. The slope IS minor and I'll use solution 2. Y'know, do-it-yourself books should have a chapter titled "You are probably worrying too much!". Thanks again!

Kevin

John Bridge
08-20-2001, 03:26 PM
Kevin,

Thanks much for helping me out with my next book. Maybe not a chapter but at least a highlighed passage.

I like Bud's advice too. It's easy, and it'll work.