Pepto Bismol Pink Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pepto Bismol Pink Tile

msgypsylee
05-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I bought a house built in 1955 with the ugliest pepto bismol pink tile ever. Its on the floor and half way up the walls that extends at least an inch out from the wall. I really want this tile gone. I want to just retile the bathtub area and put in a new floor. I'm totally new to this type of project. Any suggestions on how to remove this old tile? Are there any concerns I need to be aware of (toxins etc)? Any advice would be most appreciated. It's driving me crazy :bonk:

Thanks,

Sarah

Sponsored Links

bathroomremodeler
05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Sarah,

Asbestos would be the only toxin I feel you would have to be concerned with. I believe that the ceramic tiles are safe, but some plaster, board and glue contained asbestos.

Do a search on the Internet and if you feel safe in removing the tiles ... a chisel and hammer are the simple tools to removing tile.

When you remove the tile, most likely you will find that you will need to replace or repair the material that the tile was glued to.

It is not a small project. My suggestion is get to know what could be involved first ... you may decide that pink is not all that bad :rofl:

Dean

FLWing
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Wow, I wished I was that lucky. I recently needed to replace the fixture on my Mother's bath and she had that same tile....quite popular in the mid to late 50's, for sure. Anyway, although I didn't like the color I wanted to find 1 s/f of them to replace the ones destroyed in the repair...no such luck. I couldn't find ANY! Too bad you weren't doing the remodel then, or I'd have begged a few from 'ya!!! :tup1:

If you're lucky You'll find they were installed over a mudbed with very good craftmanship...not easy to tear out. At least asbestos isn't a factor in that event.

Be sure to wear good eye protection and gloves - it can be hazardous.

jdm
05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Add heavy-duty gloves, eye protection, a dust mask, and a pair of metal snips for cutting any wire lath that you find in the mud bed to your minimum tool list.

msgypsylee
05-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks Guys for all of your help. I really appreciate the guidance.

Sarah

PaulHG
05-19-2006, 10:13 AM
I bought a house built in 1955 with the ugliest pepto bismol pink tile ever.

Just for the record - in less politically correct times that color was referred to as tittee pink - and was indeed THE thing to have in that period.

Before we are too quick to judge -- remember OUR generation gave the world shag carpet and green :sick: appliances.

FLWing
05-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Yea - and shag carpet has made a comeback too...no accounting for taste!

msgypsylee
05-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Well gentlemen, when you couple the pink walls and pink floor with a pink toilet, tub and sink, you would go a little crazy too. It's making me a little crazy :blah: :crazy:

Oldrem
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I've got a few cans of gunpowder - quick way to demo it :bonk:

Michael503
05-20-2006, 07:11 AM
check out my old bathroom here .. and the horror of what was under it :rolleyes:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35628

Michael503
05-20-2006, 07:13 AM
hey FLwing, not all comebacks are bad, hip huggers came back recently too! :tup2:

PaulHG
05-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Gypsy -
Wasn't disagreeing with you at all. The only place I thought that color really looked good -- was when it was balanced with charcoal gray on a 55 Chevy.
Just observing how times change -- what make us cringe today was in its day - the height of fashion.

Michael --
OHH yeah :yeah:

Shaughnn
05-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi Sarah,
Most likely, your walls and your flor will have been installed over a mortar bed. Add a 6" mini Wonder Bar and a 1" cold chisel (I like Dasco brand from Home DEspot) to your growing list of tools. You can use the small wrecking bar to "pop" individual tiles from the walls. Then you can use a hammer and the chisel to outline 1 foot by 2 foot sections with perforations through the mortar bed. With the mortar knocked away along those perforations, you can then use your metal snips to cut the reinforcement wire and pull the sections away one-by-one. If these prove too large for you to carry comfortably, reduce the size.
The floor will probably be more difficult to remove and so I'd suggest you rent a small demolition hammer to create the perforations. The floor mortar should be installed directly over dimensional lumber, if it is a floated floor.
I have to feed a baby now, but can answer any more questions you might have a bit later.
Shaughnn

msgypsylee
05-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Michael...I see by your pink bathroom that you feel my pain. I wasn't insulted by anything anyone said. I actually like most things retro. This bathroom though just gets to me. I started my demolition this week. On Saturday I coudlnt take it anymore, grabbed a hammer and some goggles and just started wacking away at the walls. Very therapeutic I must say. Thank you to everyone for all of your tips. If I come across any treasures in the walls I'll let you all know.

have a great day,

Sarah

FLWing
05-22-2006, 05:15 PM
What was it Groucho Marx said?:

"When shooting elephants in Africa, I found the tusks very hard to remove, but in Alabama, the Tusks are looser...?"
:yipee:

PaulHG
05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Retro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OUCH
You really know how to hurt a guy.
:cry:

Designer Girl
09-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Sarah,

I see that you were tearing out 50's pink tile back in may. I hope your project went well. I was wondering if there was any chance that you might still have any of that tile or even chunks of wall around. I recently bought a house and with the same tile. I am a designer and have decided to keep the tile it is a part of the house. I have retiled the floor and took out a large cabinet and put in a wall sink. I found a hole where the wall furnace was. Anyway I am in need of 20 tiles. If it is not too late Please let me know!!!

Here's hopping,

Heather

cx
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Welcome, Heather. :)

We might hafta start a Tile Trader forum hereabouts so many peoples do we get that are either throwin away or lookin' for them pink and green tiles from back inna color blind era. :D

You do recognize that this thread was a couple years old, eh? :shades:

Kathy Marie
12-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Hello Heather and CX! :)

I also have a pink bathroom and I have located a source for those 50's colors, including green and pink. The outfit you want is B&W Tile, they're in California and here is their website:

http://www.bwtile.com/index.html

I have a sample board from them (which I should return, my bad) but the colors for the greens especially are *absolutely* spot on!!

No, I'm not affiliated--but as I've been haunting local salvage places trying to find pink tile for about two years now, I thought I'd pass the good news along.

The Most High Hubbiness found an online place yesterday that matches old tile:

www.thisoldtile.com

I haven't seen them before and suspect they're new.

Best of luck,

Kathy Marie