Kitchen Backsplash Surface Repair/Prep (pics) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Backsplash Surface Repair/Prep (pics)

Chris Mills
05-18-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm new to the forum and have no experience in this so I hope some of you can help me.

I'm replacing the old 4x4 ceramic tile kitchen backsplash with new full wall backsplash. The dimensions of the new tiles are 3.75" x 3.75", if that matters. They will be set with Pro-Mastic wall tile adehesive from Superior.

When I tore out the old tile, the drywall underneath got torn up pretty badly. I replaced some sections with new drywall. There are seams, uneven surfaces and still a few chunks out. I have a few questions about finishing the prep of the new surface:

1. Do the seams created by the new drywall have to be filled or can I just paint with Kilz and lay the new tile over them? If they have to be filled, is taping necessary or can I just put spackling paste in the seams, sand :) and then paint with Kilz?

2. Do I level the uneven surfaces between old and new drywall with a skim coat of drywall mud and then seal it?

3 Can the chunks be filled with spackling, leveled and then sealed. or should I install new drywall all over. Any other helpful comments or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links

mrjetskey
05-18-2006, 10:33 AM
The outside paper of the drywall is what helps hold it together,it would have been just as easy to replace the whole piece of drywall than just the little sections,would be a lot stronger also,you could also have used hardi or cbu in the same thickness as the drywall then that would be the easiest to tile over,I would at the bare minimum replace the all damaged sheetrock ,I would also tape it .

Chris Mills
05-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

All of the torn up drywall will be replaced with new and the joints will be taped. All will be painted with primer or Kilz.

I'm getting lazy in my old age and didn't want to do these steps if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when its done.

Chris

BTW - great forum!