Subfloor patch? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Subfloor patch?

Littlewolf
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
I ran into an issue after tearing out some carpet and particle board in my living room. Seams I have a subfloor made of 1/2 inch plywood which will need some beefing up. But I ran into two bad spots.

One is a place were some idiot layed a peice of wood flat on the floor to cut it and cut through his work piece as well as the subfloor leaving a section 3x14 inches that is flapping. I plan to cut a 8x16 inch section out attach 2x4s to the joists and cut a peice of 1/2 inch plywood to patch it.

The second area is in the rooms corner where my wife had a plant with a leaking drainage tray. It soaked the corner and the subfloor is soft and moldy in a 18x20 inch section. Here I plan to cut a 2x2 ft. square and use 2x4s at the joist locations, and 2x8s attached to the inner edge of the sill plate along the walls in the corner.

Does this sound acceptable?

Sponsored Links

Davestone
05-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Might be better to ,cut back to the joists,easier, too.Most tile jobs need to start with a 5/8" subfloor at least,hopefully it's 5/8".Also, if you're tiling when you take out the plywood check your joists so you can run it by the DEFLECTO,above.

Littlewolf
05-18-2006, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the quick response.
I 'm not sure I follow you when you say "cut back to the joists." Can you expand on that? I checked it again and its 1/2 inch, but I plan to put another 1/2 inch on top.

I don't think I'll be able to put tile here. The joists are 2x8s with 16 inch spacing and the span is 12 feet.

bbcamp
05-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Frank, I think Dave meant to cut out from the center of one joist to the center of another for your patch. I think adding cleats to the sides of a joist is acceptable, though.

You're right, you shouldn't be tiling that floor unless you beef up the joists. ;)