Concrete Slab Prep [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Slab Prep

jrick
05-16-2006, 10:40 AM
I am installing slate on an exterior courtyard slab...the existing slab needs both surface hairline crack repair and floated for low spots...which do I do first..install a liquid roll/brush on membrane for the cracks or use level pro mix over existing floor and cracks to level floor and then use the crack stuff. Thanks :nod:

Sponsored Links

T_Hulse
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi J,
First let me caution you that most slates are usually considered a poor choice for exterior. Most of them will accept water into the body, freeze up, expand out, & blow the stuff apart. They do make several porcelain look-alikes that are extremely durable outdoors though.
You want to do your leveling before you do the crack isolation. Check our liberry for tips on using self leveling underlayment. Don't forget the primer for all jobs, & to abrade the surface if it's ever had sealers or coatings on it. For outdoor use, I would recommend a sheet membrane instead of a roll-on for crack isolation. Noble CIS or Nobledeck are great for this.
www.noblecompany.com

jrick
05-17-2006, 05:11 AM
Thanks Tom..for the advice...I've already purchased the slate and can not return..but, it is a small somewhat protected area...70 sq ft and live in Houston and plan on sealing so, hopefully hard freeze won't be a big concern.
jrick

Tileworks
05-17-2006, 06:46 AM
First let me caution you that most slates are usually considered a poor choice for exterior. Most of them will accept water into the body, freeze up, expand out, & blow the stuff apart. They do make several porcelain look-alikes that are extremely durable outdoors though.

I love the way you worded this :-)

Someday I'm gonna have a FAQ sheet online. May I quote this?

- Bob