'Sandpaper feel' tile-grout ? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 'Sandpaper feel' tile-grout ?

Lisa123
05-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Hi guys. We are getting ready to tile a kitchen and laundry room. I bought a porcelin tile and don't ask how I didn't notice but now that I own it, I realized it has a sandpaper like feel to it. (light sandpaper) Is this going to be a *#@! to grout? We aren't totally new at tiling but still struggle with grouting sometime. ALSO- why oh why isn't the grout ever the same color as the chart. We just did a bathroom and I PROMISE, we didn't over-do the water clean-up and the grout is WAY lighter than the chart. :noid: Thanks in advance! :) Lisa in OK

Sponsored Links

chassis
05-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Lisa,

Not a problem on the sandpaper-feeling tile. The tile we used in our master bath re-do has some texture to it, sort of a faux stone if you will. I like the feeling of it on my bare tootsies. ;)

Grouting went very smoothly, with no problems. Just take care to clean the excess grout, and grout haze thoroughly.

DonB
05-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Hi Lisa,

In my experience, cement grout never matches the color card. Even when it's mixed exactly to recipe and never sees water, like when making a sample bar, it just don't match. If you want a perfect color match, easy installation and maintenance-free grout, go with Spectralock epoxy. I think it's worth the investment.

Your rough textured tile will be easier to grout if you quickly clean the centers of the tiles to remove most of the mess. Do this immediately but stay off the lines until the appropriate time.

Don

AnotherMikey
05-16-2006, 07:41 AM
We tiled the whole house and found out after the first room that the TEC grout wasn't even close to the sample. To protect our investment in the 6 or 8 bags of non-returnable (real tile store, not a big-box) grout, we bought a few bags of darker grout and custom-mixed something that has worked out OK in the rest of the house. Oddly enough, every batch of "custom" we've mixed, even down to some very small ones, has matched up perfectly with the neighboring groutlines.

MORAL: Invest in a test board before applying grout to the floor. Depending on the store's return policy, don't buy all your grout until you're happy with the test board's result.

Our tile (16") is also textured and a little rough on top, and it's a devil of a job getting it clean after grouting in the conventional way (make a big mess, then clean it up). I modified my grouting procedure a little to keep the bulk of the mess off the tile. It takes longer, but cleanup is much easier: I mix the grout a little stiffer than normal, and use a small pointed trowel to work the grout into the groutlines, much like pointing up a brick wall. This way, the grout mess only extends an inch or so each side of the groutline. I then immediately use a small (2" wide) hard-rubber squeegee (I think it's designed for epoxy grout) to remove the bulk of that grout left on the surface, leaving only the grout in the groutline.

The stiffer grout is less affected by an early wipe of the sponge, so I wipe the residual grout off almost immediately with a hard sponge wrung nearly dry that doesn't get into the "good" grout. The next day I use a floor scrubber to get the rest of the haze off.

I've had to take up some tile as doors were added, walls were moved, etc., and can attest that the grout is extremely strong and durable.

Good luck -

mike