Thin-set for use with marble & Nuheat? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thin-set for use with marble & Nuheat?

paulgund
05-15-2006, 08:28 AM
I have just finished installing a 32 X 60 Schluter shower system in a bathroom I am renovating. I affixed the shower tray and Kerdi membrane to the plywood sub-floor and drywall walls using white Premiumplus unmodified thin-set mortar, and plan to set polished, white 12 x 12 marble tiles on the shower walls (4 x 4 on the floor) with 1/16" spacing using the same mortar and unsanded grout. Outside the shower enclosure I have laid a cement board sub-floor and will be installing Nuheat heating mats over the cement board and under the same 12 x 12 marble tiles. The Nuheat installation manual recommends an Acrylic or latex modified thin-set. My question is, is it absolutely necessary to use the modified thin-set with the Nuheat mats and will it work well with the marble tiles? The unmodified Premium plus seems to have great adhesion qualities and was recommended to me for use with the marble tiles I am using. Any comments and suggestions regarding mortar, spacing, grout and sealing would be greatly appreciated. Paul

Sponsored Links

JTG
05-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Paul
You can use the Premium Plus to set the Nuheat pad put I wouldn't use it to set the marble. For that I would use Custom Marble and Granite mortar. It is a medium bed mortar and will give the marble better support while it is setting up and during the life of the installation. Always set a marble with a white mortar as gray can/could darken the tile appearence.
I usually set with 1/16" space. When setting a stone on Nuheat I usually will cover the mat with a self leveling compund unless the mat fills the room up almost to the edges and I can skim coat them with mortar to get the floor close to flat. When you have such a narrow grout joint it is hard to get a nice lay on a floor that is not FLAT. I have also been known to use a trowel of different size on and off the mat.
You will grout with unsanded grout.
Link to the TYW store and look at the sealers for a marble sealer.
Good Luck
JTG

flatfloor
05-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Add to what Jerry said, if you decide to use a SLC look in our Liberry for installation over radiant techniques. :)

paulgund
05-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the input. Everything has been going great so far and I didn't want to screw up at thiis point your quick advice is much appreciated.
Paul