Drain relocation in concrete slab? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Drain relocation in concrete slab?

Lopton
05-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Ok, I am in the planning stages of a kerdi shower =P I have zero plumbing experience but am very good figuring things out and with all my other DIY projects. so here are my questions:

1.) I attached a picture of the drain, it appears to be cast iron after the PVC extension (meaning the last people didn't replace the trap). Does this look right to everyone?

2.) If it is cast iron, is it feasible for me to replace the trap and drain, honestly I am scared to all heck to jack hammer my slab and mess with the plumbing?

3.) Is that really as simple as it is? dig out the current concrete slab -> tear out old drain/trap -> put new one in (nice and level) -> fill with deck mud while constructing shower?

Thanks all,
-=Matt=-

Sponsored Links

Davestone
05-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Actually that looks good,you want standing water in there,stopping the return of gas.Yes it actually is that easy,andeven if you can't fix the plumbing yourself,jackhammering it out yourself will please the plumber you call to no end.

John Bridge
05-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Hi Matt, Welcome aboard. :)

Depending on the age of the trap, you might want to dig it out and replace it with PVC. On the other hand, I could last for decades. :)