Sealed Granite? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Granite?

Alice
05-22-2001, 09:23 AM
Hello John,

Compliments, I love the new look of your forum. Thank you, your instructions for posting works perfectly.

I am wondering if there is a simple method of determining if our granite counters, tub surround, and shower has been sealed. The person who did our final walk through didn't know if the granite was sealed yet. I don't think it has been because when water gets on it, it turns dark instantly, like sponge soaking up water.

Alice

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
05-22-2001, 04:33 PM
Hi Alice,

Glad you made it. I'm working on changing those links now. They are a bit confusing.

The granite may have been sealed even though it absorbs water. Maybe they didn't seal it enough.

Then again, most polished granite has been sealed (somewhat) at the factory.

It certainly won't hurt to go over it again, though, and it's easy enough to do. Like falling off a log. You just rub the sealer on with a sponge or rag, let it soak in for a minute or two, and then remove all the excess with clean rags or paper towels. The excess is anything that remains on the surface. Polish it all off as though you were washing windows with Windex.

A bunch of people make sealers. Aquamix, however, makes little else. I think they've done the r&d that others may not have done.

http://www.aquamix.com

And maybe others can add to this (or tell me I'm full of it).

Don't be a stranger, Alice. Always a pleasure to have you around.

John

[Edited by Admin on 05-22-2001 at 06:35 PM]

Alice
05-23-2001, 01:21 PM
John,

That explains why a few weeks ago why coke that had seeped through paper cups left on the counter over the weekend seem to foamed to the surface and didn't leave a permanent stain.

I'll certainly reseal before moving in. We suspect the bullnosed areas was not sealed because the powdery residue left on the counter and in the sink was not cleaned until weeks after the fact.

Hope the humidity isn't smothering you.

Alice

John Bridge
05-23-2001, 04:43 PM
"powdery residue left on the counter and in the sink was not cleaned until weeks after the fact"

Yep, sounds like production work.

Humidity is a thing we live with, Alice (sorta like some people I know live with snow and ice). Only 3 or 4 months, though. Then the rest of the year is quite nice. Where did you live before you moved to Cal.?

Alice
05-23-2001, 05:08 PM
John,

We've lived in Southern California most of our lives. My husband, Jay, made the mistake of taking a job that required relocating to the mid-atlantic area (I won't mention the state so that I don't offend anyone). We lived there for 1.5 years before high tailing back. In 1999, the first few months were cold and rainy. We didn't realize that was a good thing until Summer arrived with a vengeance and we suffered through months of humidity. The humidity would dissipated for a few hours each day, from 3:00 am to 6 am.--humidity factor drove some days into the 120 degree farenheit level. You probably experience that first hand. I imagine it is a trade off, homes are probably more affordable in most of Texas.

During the mildly humid days in these part when someone complains, we have to chuckle.

Take care,
Alice

PS For production work, our granite tiles countertops came out quite nicely because every time we pointed areas of poor craftsmanship, the builder called up the tile installer to fix the problem.

[Edited by Admin on 05-24-2001 at 05:46 PM]