Edge treatment for wall tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Edge treatment for wall tile

Jason_Butler
08-16-2001, 01:16 PM
Hi Guys,

I am doing an install on a bathtub/shwr surround. I installed 1/2" CBU over the existing greenboard. As a result, when I install the wall tile there will be a 1/2" "gap" between the tile and the greenboard. What is the best way to cover this 1/2" gap for the stopped edge?

I have seen some installers use grout to hide the edge of the CBU but this client does not find the method appealing.

My other option is to take out the existing greenboard and use CBU instead to get a flush look.

Pls Help!!!

Jason

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
08-16-2001, 03:57 PM
Hi Jason

Mud cap, if available, would cover the gap that is there. Otherwise, grouting the gap or filling in with small pieces of tile to return into the wall would work. I don't think I would like to see that gap filled with grout, but that's just a personal preference.

I would be concerned about the greenboard and moisture coming through the cement board, unless a waterproof membrane was installed under the tile.

Rob

John Bridge
08-16-2001, 04:11 PM
Hi Jason,

You may have stated it, but I don't know whether you're using standard wall tiles or not. Wall tiles always come with every type of trim shape known to man, including radius bullnose (A-4200), which is what you need.

If you are using some other type of tile, perhaps you can find A-4200 that will coordinate with it..

Jason_Butler
08-17-2001, 09:42 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. I picked up some samples of the radius bullnose ( 4200) today at the local HD. Looks like it will work fine.

Now for the hard part; finding the right color for the tile. It is wall tile by the way.

Jason

chip
08-18-2001, 02:03 AM
Go to your local "Ceramic Tile Distributor" for choices and availability. These people are in the business of selling ceramic tile. They don't just dabble in it as a me too operation.

John Bridge
08-18-2001, 07:07 AM
If you are using standard wall tiles, either 4 -1/4 or 6x6, you can find the trims that are made for it in exactly the same color. You have to indentify the brand name of the tiles and then find the distributor for that brand. Some of the main ones, are Daltile, Florida Tile, U.S. Ceramics, Huntington Pacific, American Olean. There are probably a dozen others