Librarian Tilesetters? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Librarian Tilesetters?

johnnymac
08-15-2001, 10:10 PM
Went down to the library a few weeks ago and checked out "the other guy's" book since they didn't have John's. Seeing the book I was checking out, the librarian made a comment about setting tile being difficult. I didn't think too much of it at the time. Monday I went back and rechecked out the book and a DIFFERENT librarian made a similar comment about setting tile. Do these librarians know something I don't? Maybe it was the book? I'm hoping to finally start tiling this weekend and I'm starting to get a little nervous. To be on the safe side I ordered John's book. Received it today. Just leafing through it, the tiling sections are right on as far as the level and type of information I need, but there ain't no way I'm ever going to do a full blown mud job. I had a hard enough time just hanging CBU :D
John: I loved the story in the beginning of your book about your "helper". And no, you didn't miss anything as far as my previous post about the window sill. You may have provided the perfect solution: the combined thickness of the thinset and 1/2" CBU should bring me right up to where I need to be. It'll be a lot easier than what I was thinking of doing. I'll have to mock it up tonight and check it out.
Here's today's question: Area to be tiled is roughly 5'x5' and I'm using 12" tiles run on a diagonal. White tiles, white grout. What width grout lines, 3/16" or 1/4"? Why? And what is up with these librarians? ;)

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
08-15-2001, 10:18 PM
Johnny

Librarians are a strange breed. Who knows what's up with them?

I'd use 3/16", as long as the tile are fairly regular in shape and dimension. Is your subfloor flat?

Rob

'

John Bridge
08-16-2001, 06:37 AM
I love librarians. They know everything. Maybe they mean Mike's book is difficult. :)

White grout does not stay white. Period.