Slate Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Slate Tile

RLovorn
03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
I've read many, many posts concerning Slate and Shale tiles, but I'm actually looking for a little more indepth information. I noticed that there are several references to "Indian" versus "Chinese" slate; Is there truely a difference? Is stone from one country perferrable to the other? Is it possible for stone from either country to look similar? I also read, on another website, that it's recommended for the installer to wire brush the stone prior to installation to help reduce post-installation flaking or spall. Is this something you would recommend as well? Also, is flaking a sign of faulty material or just to be expected?

Thanks, in advance for any and all information!!!

Rebecca

Sponsored Links

JTG
03-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Rebecca
Shale it slate that has flaked off. It is natural with a lot of the stone.
There is Vermont slate that seems to be much more solid.
I have never wire brused slate prior to installation.
My observation has been that if you notice a lot of little pieces breaking off prior to installation and during it will continue to happen once on the floor.
I think you will find with some Indian and Oriental slate there can be a huge variation in quality of the quarrying. Big variation in how square the tile are and thickness. You will hear this refer to guaged and ungauged slate. Guaged is always better. Is it guaged for thickness? square? or both?
There are porcelain tile that look just like slate. Look at the Daltile web site.
Good luck
JTG

kevjob
03-28-2006, 12:09 PM
all the slate i have installed some spall some dont as easily.