Making Slibowitz (licquor) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Making Slibowitz (licquor)

John Bridge
05-21-2001, 02:09 PM
Some weeks back I asked Uri Schwartzberger http://www.ausglaze.com.au how to make a plum licquor called Slwibowitz. Uri posted the recipe on his board and I copied it over to our old board. Now that the old board is gone, I returned to Uri's place and copied the entire thread. It follows:

Post Date: 3/10/2001 10:19:55 AM (South-East Australia) Edit
Author: John Bridge
Home Page: http://www.johnbridge.com

Uri,

Tell us how to make Slibowitz. I heard you talking about it on Sonnie Layne's board. You were also talking about sausages, but forget that. Concentrate on the Slibowitz.

John

Post Date: 3/11/2001 8:30:32 PM (South-East Australia) Edit
Author: Uri Schwartzberger
Home Page: Bad drink? Only our ability to use it !

Will be comming soon. Keep up looking!
Uri

Post Date: 3/11/2001 9:12:21 PM (South-East Australia) Edit
Author: Uri Schwartzberger
Home Page: Bad drink? Only our ability to use it !

Take an empty and clean wooden barrel. Put plums in it. Choose mainly over riped fruits, even rotten ones. Cover the top of the barrel and live the fruits to ferment. If the fruits are not too sweet, you may add sugar, up to 1 Kg to 10 Kg of plums. The fruits will eliminate liquid which will cover them. The fermentation process, will take about 20-30 days, pending on temperature conditions. You may consider the fermentation finished, after bubbling has stoped. Now, the mixture is ready for distillation. You may use a distilling devise (distiller), using as cooling system a spiral pipe made of stainless steel or copper. If you use a copper pipe, before each use, distille through it about 0.5 ltrs of a 1:1 mixture of water with vinegar. This, will eliminate the copper oxide from the walls of the pipe.
Fill the distiller by 3/4 with the liquid and fruit mixture from your barrel. Distille the content, monitoring the temperature of the vapors, by placing a thermometer before the entrance of the vapors into the cooling pipe. Distille on quite low heat, until the temperature will get to 92-93 dgr.C. At start of dripping, eliminate the very first 20-30 ml of distillate (contains low distilling alcohols, not etanol). The obtined distilate, is a Slibovitz of ~50-60% of alcohol. If you want to reduce its strength, add water. Is good to be kept in bottles for 2-3 weeks before drinking. If you wish, you can make a higher quality so called "double distillate", by redistilling.
Pending on the sugar content of your plums, you will obtine approx.10% of Slibovitz (in litres) from the quantity of plums (in Kg) used.
Best regards and enjoy the process, in areas where isn't prohibited by the law.
The distillation process, in some countries may be prohibited.
Uri

Post Date: 3/12/2001 2:11:53 AM (South-East Australia) Edit
Author: Sonnie Layne
Home Page: http://www.sonnielayne.com

Hi Uri,
Thanks so much for the dissertation. Not many folks know the process. And just for the record, here in Texas we're allowed to distill or brew anything (except I think absynthe) for our personal consumption. Guys like John and I would have a hard time convincing the judge that all that brew was for personal consumption, I think.
Thanks again.
Sonnie

Post Date: 3/12/2001 2:16:39 AM (South-East Australia) Edit

Uri,

Of course it's illegal, but nearly everything is illegal these days. I'm going to copy your recipe over to my board also. Spread the news, so to speak.

John

Post Date: 3/16/2001 9:56:00 AM (South-East Australia) Edit

Actually, I could make the Slibowitz, but I couldn't drink it. Swore off the hard stuff about 15 years ago. It was getting away from me. Used to drink Rum and Coke like it was water. Quit cold turkey.

Of course I immediately doubled up on the beer and wine and have been there since.

John

Sponsored Links

Harry
05-24-2001, 04:38 PM
Hmmm .... I will be building a garden shed (potting shed) for my wife this summer, maybe I'll take over a corner in it for making Slibowitz. I'll tell my wife it is a new additive for the plant food. *grin*

John Bridge
05-24-2001, 06:19 PM
Yeah, and when the smell gets around the neighborhood, all your "gardening" buddies will be in your back yard. Great fun. Don't let the mounties get you.

Uri
05-26-2001, 10:37 AM
As I can see, you are very serious about it. If you are going to do it, what about my royalty?
If the cooling system is working properly, you don't have to worry about the smel.
Best regards,
Uri
P.S. Nowadays, I don't make shlibowitz any more. I make whisky. Cost me around $3.00 (US$1.65)/liter and is very good.

John Bridge
05-26-2001, 02:09 PM
Okay, Uri. Tell us how to make whiskey for $1.65 a liter, and we'll all send you royalties -- if we don't end up in jail, that is. We'll have the mounties, the federales, the revenuers and God knows who else after us.

:-)