Rookie backsplash ?. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Rookie backsplash ?.

pickerpacker
03-13-2006, 09:06 AM
I removed the old laminate backsplash in our kitchen and am now ready to install 10 x 18 ceramic tiles and have a couple of rookie questions.

1)The backsplash was attached to the drywall with glue. Is it ok to put Hardi Board over top of the glue remnants, or do I need to somehow clean the glue off first?

2)Do I need to use modified thinset to attach the Hardi Board to the walls, or will screws in the studs be good enough?

3)How thick of a thinset layer do I need for the backsplash tiles?

4)How can I attach some decorative tiles to the 10 x 18 wall tiles?

5)Should I attach the decorative tiles before putting the backsplash tiles up or after?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
03-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi, Pickerpacker!

1) You should try to scrape it smooth. You may find it easier to remove the drywall and replace it with backerboard. It will be less thickness on the walls, which may be a plus.

2) If you left the drywall and you couldn't get the adhesive scraped off, then yes, use the thinset, any type will do, as a filler. The screws will do all the work keeping things in place.

3) Simple answer: it depends. For walls and tiles that big, pros often use a technique called "5 spotting" or "9 spotting" where they apply 5 or 9 blobs of thinset on the back of the tile, then burn in some thinset on the wall, then smoosh the tile onto the wall. Wall tiles do not need 100% coverage, since most folks do not walk on their walls. This method can easily accomodate the various thickness that some stone tiles are produced, so you can get the thinset thickness as you need it to keep the fronts of the tile in the same plane. Other than that, try to keep the thinset thickness to 1/4" or less.

4) Do you mean on the surface of the tiles, or inset into the pattern? If on the surface, you can simply use modified thinset. You will have to support the tile with tape until the thinset starts to cure.

5) After, so you'll know exactly where to put them.

cx
03-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Welcome, Picker. Please give us a first name to use. :)

1. If you want to use CBU on that wall, I'd recommend you cut out the existing sheetrock and install the half-inch CBU in its place. Otherwise, you can just scrape off the remaining glue and attach your backsplash tiles directly to the existing sheetrock. If you do what you're suggesting, you'll end up with a problem at the edges for which you'll not likely have a matching trim tile available.

2. See #1.

3. You'd like to end up with about 3/32nds when the tiles are set.

4. You want to attach other tiles to the face of your large tiles? Rather than set them in at the same plane as the large tiles? You'll need to tell the real big-time tile guys what kind of tiles you're dealing with to get a good answer for that one.

5. I would think before, if I understand what you're doing, but see #4.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Ol' Fast-Fingers-Bob is onna roll this morning. I'm going to work. :D

Dave Taylor
03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
I think Ol "Fast-fingers" done figured out to type usen' toes too :---)

pickerpacker
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
My first name is Loman...

If I'm understanding this right, it would be better that I don't use Hardi Board due to thikness?

How do I remove the old glue? I was concerned about using a scraper, that it would damage the drywall.

bbcamp
03-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Loman, we highly recommend removing the drywall, then installing the 1/2" backerboard. It'll save you time and effort, and will look better, too.

It's hard to tell what method will work best to remove the adhesive. Some of them respond well to heat. Use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive, then work at it with a stiff putty knife. If you get some minor damage to the drywall, don't worry, you can simply tile over it. Big, gaping holes are another matter.

pickerpacker
03-13-2006, 11:59 AM
replacing the drywall... is that difficult?

What would happen if I used thinset over top of the glue? Would it fail, give me an uneven surface to work with, etc?

Thanks again

bbcamp
03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Replacing the drywall will be the simplist part of your project. ;)

I can't see your glue problem from here, but as a minimum, you would have a lumpy surface to work from, and possibly, you thinset won't like the old glue.

pickerpacker
03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
On the fresh drywall, do I need to tape any seams, mud over screws, etc?

:crap:

bbcamp
03-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Yes. Do everything you would normally do, but you don't have to be perfect.