new shower stall installation advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : new shower stall installation advice

marvin
09-05-2002, 02:05 PM
I am building a new bathroom but am now having some serious doubts re: my shower design. The bathroom is built on a 4" concrete slab, in between two existing structures. The shower stall is in one corner and is about 42" square. I built a 4" pony wall out from the existing wall (6' high) as the third wall for the shower. The two corner walls are concrete block (existing) and the new wall is 6" wood frame. The concrete was poured with a slight slope to the center drain. My wife doesn't want any curb. She has bought mosaic tile for the floor (1" sq on 1 sq ft. sheets) and 4" tiles for the wall. Here's some of my questions, if anyone wants to shed some light for me.
1. Can the mosaic tile be just set on the concrete slab with thinset?
2. Is it OK not to have a curb? (I ran a hose for about 5 minutes and it drained well) ( also the rest of the bathroom floor will have electric radiant floor heating!)
3. Can using building paper and backerboard on the three walls (2 wood frame, one concrete block) be considered adequate, to be attached with thinset and nails and screws?
4. My pony wall is 6' high. I'm thinking of just tiling 6' high on all the walls for continuity. The shower head comes out of the wall higher than this, but I figure I'll just go with drywall above the tile. Any thoughts?

Anyway, as you can probably quess, this is all new to me, but I've done lots of other building projects and we're determined to go forward with this. I got the wet saw and other tools. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
09-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you already have a floor drain where the shower goes?

marvin
09-05-2002, 05:04 PM
yes-I have the floor drain there- it adjusts a little up and down-it's about a half inch above slab grade.

John Bridge
09-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Hi Marvin, Welcome. ;)

If you want to have a trouble-free setup, you're going to need a shower pan liner. It will entail changing your drain to a different type. We have several articles with pictures in our Reference Liberry. Check it out and then ask more questions.