Randy Davis & Tilemadeasy.com [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Randy Davis & Tilemadeasy.com

EEEO
02-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Anyone ever hear of this guy? Maybe he's here, I don't know. It's like a web info-mercial for tile setting how-to videos. Anyhow, I found it rather amusing. Here's a link.

http://www.tilemadeasy.com/

Sponsored Links

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
LMFAO........... That is too funny.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh I like how he said, you can do it yourself, for about the price of 1 box of tile....... :crazy:

housefire
02-05-2006, 01:48 PM
I wonder why there aren't any pictures of his work on there anywhere?

John Bridge
02-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, the guy almost had me talked into buying the package, but I managed to restrain myself. Still, it's not a bad idea. I'll bet he gets some takers. :)

muskymike
02-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I betcha I could too if I made my own how-to videos. :shades:

John Bridge
02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
From a purely promotional standpoint, though, I doubt either one of you could out do the origami boulder guy. :)

http://www.origamiboulder.com

opiethetileman
02-05-2006, 03:46 PM
AMWAY anyone what about so nomi jucie 2.

davem
02-05-2006, 03:52 PM
His writing style seem familiar? Could this be JB in disguise? :D

steve,from Turlock
02-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I've burnt so many brain cells, best I can do is the I.Q. of a 50 yr. old.

cx
02-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I think it's unfair to criticize the guy's product without having seen it. Since Eric brought it up, I vote that he should buy the package, watch alla tapes, and report back. :D

Yep, JB, Origami Bolder guy still best of all dumb-dumb abertizers. :tup2:

Rob Z
02-05-2006, 09:25 PM
That whole thing looks cheesier than a family size package of Velveeta. :sick:

No thanks.

lawngnome
02-05-2006, 09:38 PM
*Takes deep breath* OMFG.... A person who lists all their credentials coming from probable commercial slash & burn jobs. And he wants to teach Ma and Pa Kettle how to 'piss off tile setters' with a couple videos? It would almost be worth paying the fee to watch these videos...

MHI
02-05-2006, 09:55 PM
That whole thing looks cheesier than a family size package of Velveeta. :sick:

No thanks.

What, you not buying the wadded paper thing?

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures. We know of at least two authors of tile setting books, and they both should have made videos. Maybe together?:)

Randy Davis does seem to be more handsome, and more cut out for show biz.:D

jdm
02-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Anybody watch the demo video?

I tried, but it won't download. I think that's because my PC is trying to use Real Video instead of Windows Media. And Bill Gates made it too difficult for me to figure out how to tell his software to use the correct program.

tilemanct
02-06-2006, 05:29 AM
The Demo video is a real hoot. You can tell this guy put this together in a weekend. Wow we better look out. All them folks are gonna be pissing us tilesetters off!! Not a great marketing technique. OK JB... time to dust off the video camera and go Hollywood on us.

bljack
02-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Actually, he had a message board and got rid of it after Bill Vincent went there and started correcting Randy's responses. Funnier than any video he might have were his message board responses to his customers. I'd post some examples but my memory of that time about 8 weeks ago is so very cloudy. Maybe Bill will post here about it.

Brian

Splinter
02-06-2006, 09:58 AM
The tricky part is not making any mistakes.

if you do a perfect job then you will only make a few mistakes.

I had to laugh when I saw these two lines in Mr. Davis' presentation... :rofl:

housefire
02-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I saw that too.

Errrm - how is it possible to have a perfect job when it has mistakes? :scratch:

jdm
02-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I figured out how to make Windows Media Player the default player for all media types, and viewed the demo. Rather than show an entire single topic, the demo jumps from topic to topic so you really can't get a feel for it. My favorite shot was the one of prying off the toilet bolt caps.

I still want to know if Mr. Davis will throw in a free set of Ginzu trowels if I order before midnight.

Then I switched my default player back to RealPlayer. I try to avoid GatesWare products when there are good alternatives.

And I really would like to see a set of JB videos. I want to learn how he keeps his sneakers so white.

John Bridge
02-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Working clean has something to do with it, but hardly working is the real secret. :D

MHI
02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
The secret to hardly working, is Albert.:D

EEEO
02-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I think it's unfair to criticize the guy's product without having seen it. Since Eric brought it up, I vote that he should buy the package, watch alla tapes, and report back. :D

I never criticized it. I just said it was amusing. I think YOU should buy it and report back because you are much more of a perfeshional than I am!! :p

I expect a full report by Friday. :deal:

Hamilton
02-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Im tired of all these overnight backerboard tilesetter videos. Does anyone
have pride and integrity. This guy knows that he can sell 'some' of his knowledge to make a buck off of DIY's. Whos going to be the one to step
up and make some truly professional videos explaining a full mud installation
with every gritty detail................We got the school on the east coast, nothing out west as far as i have heard. Hmmmm the gears are spinning. ;)
:scratch: :smash: :smash: :smash:

EEEO
02-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Get after it! :stick:

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Jack, I have 2 buddies that have video production companys. One is based in Ohio, the other in Cali.. Just say the word, and I will hook you up with the dude.. The one in Cali, has worked on stuff with Jessica Simpson.. I have another Idea I will make a new thread on.

Hamilton
02-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I would need help thats for sure.... technical help as well. I could teach
anybody multiple techniques for doing mud work.... but i might get myself
in trouble with the particulars. Thats why im here :yeah: To learn. To spout
off in a video sayin "all ya gotter do is...." is kinna what started this thread eh?
I would love to make a tutorial for floating on video for pros and daring diy's
but id need help.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
LOL, these guys will make you look good. They have a saying, its not the footage, its how its edited..

http://www.localstuntriders740.com/hosted/mfpromo.WMV

These are some of the "fools" I ride with.. My boy Rick did the editing on this one.

RLeVan
02-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I decided to take one for the team and after watching a couple of the videos, I'll definitely be testing out that money back guarantee.

I'll try to post some screen caps if I can but this is what I saw in the Thinset- Backerboard vid.

-He only uses Hardibacker 500, nothing about other types of CBU

-The bathtub area had sheetrock, taped and mudded with severe water damage from the faucet.

-No tape or paper to protect tub while he's working.

-He used the screws holding the drywall up to find the studs, then put the Hardi on top of it resting directly on tub. Then used thinset and tape on all joints. (You can actually see that the faucet is still leaking from the water stain on the backerboard).

-No mention of a vapor barrier.

-Grey thinset drys faster than white, since white takes longer to dry it's stronger

-Applies thinset to wall, doesn't burn in tile. Doesn't wipe down wall beforehand, while applying thinset a big blob of thinset that didn't stick falls in the tub.

-Only uses unglazed ceramic tile, looks to be either 6x6 or 8x8.

-Uses a snap cutter, as well as an expensive Target saw for most cuts for harder cuts

I'll try to add more as I go through the videos. If anything, when people buy these videos it will just increase the amount of tile setting work. Don't worry, y'all aren't out of a job just yet.

Rob Z
02-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Scott

:eek:

:D

John Bridge
02-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Don't post any screen shots of the videos, Rick. That would be a copyright violation. :)

Hamilton
02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Good job Rick, Id love to watch the whole video series. sounds like a 3 stooges episode. whoop whoop whoop ... Hey MOE! :rofl:

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Rob, I kinda like to live a bit dangerous..

Whats sad is, some of the guys doing those stunts make about $500,000 a year doing that.. :scratch:

Rob Z
02-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Scott

For me on my Super Glide, "living dangerous" is nailing the throttle when there are no police around and hauling ass to the next stop light. I've never been on a crotch rocket and I think I would be too scared to ride one. :)

Where's Davy? He's another old fart with a big bike and a no-wheelie policy. :D

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
When I bought my crotch rocket, my wife asked me if I was having a mid life crisis.. LMAO..

RLeVan
02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Actually John, I would be covered, as well as the site, by the Fair Use doctrine conerning copyright law. However, just so you don't get a visit from the Men in Black, I'll restrict it to comments if you like.

It's an interesting read if you want to check it out.

Fair Use doctrine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_on_the_Internet)

I promise to play nice. :x:

Hamilton
02-07-2006, 07:05 PM
With all things considered here you know what id really like to see and or
be a part of is a multifaceted DVD that explains all of the methods described
and talked about here on the forums. Kerdi, Ditra, CBUs' Mudwork... Different
methods for each. Floating floors/walls, fresh setting, pulling mud... shower pans
and the variety available. This would make a hot seller among DIY's and pros
alike. The only drawback i can think of would be finessing the legalities of
of explaining certain products. Could make a nice % to donate to the school
too. To be able to explain with video footage and show how wall mud should
look and feel would make things easier for the guy watching. Same goes for
alot of these things we use.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-07-2006, 07:16 PM
wonder what the difference would be in discussing certain brands on here or in a video? I think you could do a really great video and not get into legalities on products. Hell besides, if you did say "their" product name, you would on be increasing their sales.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
jack if your interested let me know and I will have someone get ahold of ya. :yeah:

Hamilton
02-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Its just an idea, and if it were to happen i would rather play the part of
the guy who helps out rather than an orchestrator of the overall effort.
Id be honored if someone took on somethin like this and let me do a segment
on floating. Hell id do it for a good meal and all the beer i could drink.... after
work :tup2: :D

RLeVan
02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Putting out something like this would definitely cover the costs of running this board, which is where I would expect the majority of the profits to go.

mark11755
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I thought a lot sbout this when I was with Custom. Production costs for this would run at least $60-$70K if not more, but that isn't the hard part. The biggest probelm is distribution. Costly to market unless you have an "in" at one of the big boxes, otherwise the numbers don't jive.

It is a good long term plan and I'd like to see it happen.

jdm
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
The big boxes don't want a good detailed set of instructions. There whole premise is that everything can be done by anyone in no more than about six steps. Someone in Atlanta would take one look a well-made video and instantly decide that it is overcomplicated and would confuse and scare off customers.

They want simple and easy. Don't bother mixing thinset, use this nice bucket of premixed stuff that won't stand up to water. Don't get down on your knees to seal the floor, just spray it with this aerosol can and poison your family. And here's a system with the tile pre-adhered to MDF. No adhesive at all. It will look great as long as you don't plan to walk on it. And you can serve the leftover grout on crackers.

Hamilton
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
:goodpost:

RLeVan
02-07-2006, 11:48 PM
However, a quality job can be accomplished with what is sold in box stores. A quality DVD will help weed out the junk product from the quality one. Granted, we don't have much influence over tile choice, but thinsets and grouts are the backbone of most installs.

Scottish Tile and Stone
02-08-2006, 05:42 AM
I will do whatever I can to make it happen, iffin you guys want. 2 of my boys already have stunt dvd's in places like walmart, kmart and best buy. I have another guy named Sully in Cali, he is best friends with Jessica Simpson, and Nick Lachey. He has worked on many sets with them. 2 of the guys I ride with are musicians. One of them has done work with 50cent, and a few other rappers. I will make a few calls and ask some questions.

EEEO
02-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm starting threads and launching careers! :D

Shouldn't I be entitled to some royalties or something?!?! :deal:

Or how about a cameo appearance?

Oh, wait, I think you need to actually be famous to make a cameo.

MikesHome
10-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I wish I had read this post before I bought his videos :sick: Very poor quality video and he does not build a slope before installing the liner, where does he think that water's going to go? I'm finding out that some installers think the liner is just to ensure no leakage past the floor pan and they don't even think about the purpose of the weep holes. And the weep holes? he also does not provide any drainage to the weep hole in the form of pea gravel, tile spacers, or what ever. Shower pan soup is what I see after any time in his work. Can I post his link here?

Scottish Tile and Stone
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Now heres an old thread

sandbagger
10-21-2008, 09:20 PM
not to mention old news :p

Tool Guy - Kg
10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mike. :wave:

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. If you try returning them, please report back to let us know if you can indeed return them like advertised. :)

MikesHome
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I requested a refund two times and have heard not anything. How come I am not able to post a url?

cx
10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Welcome, Mike. :)

It's an anti-spam device we have in place. You hafta have a few posts before you can post links.

MikesHome
10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Well I called him and left a message and I got return call back, I also sent two e-mails and its been a week and still no response.

Just maybe he's in the studio making volume II and he's looking for a stamp to mail me a check :goodluck:

I wonder how long I should wait before giving up hope? :gerg:

I sure hope he keeps to his word. :deadhorse