Husky Wet Tile Saw [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Husky Wet Tile Saw

TonyCanou
01-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I saw a Husky THD-950 wet tile saw at home depot. It comes with a stand and cuts something like 20" straight cuts and 14" diagonal (i may be an inch or so off, but it's a much higher number than the average $300 saw). Anybody have any experience with this saw? If so, is it good quality? It sounds like a good deal.

There's also a QEP for roughly the same price. How's QEP's quality at that price range?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Not familiar with the Husky saw. The QEP brand has been at Home Repo for awhile. Those saws would work fine for a homeowner that uses it ocassionally. I wouldn't trust one for constant use though.

Jason

JTG
01-28-2006, 11:34 PM
We have one of the Husky saws for condo and apt work. Like it so far. Just had the bearings go out on one of yellow table saws from HD. We got about 6 months out of it. I find the more and more the guys like the little saws and they try and cut to much of the large tile and they just are not up to a lot of the large, hard tile.
JTG

hitechguy
01-29-2006, 08:38 AM
What is considered "large" tile and "hard" tile? I'm doing a bathroom with 12x12 porcelin with some future wall projects. I've looked at the husky and have been wondering about it too. I like the way the frame etc. is put together as all the pieces are bolted so you can shim etc. if accuracy is out of whack.

John Bridge
01-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Tony. Hi HI-Tech, :) Give us a first name, will ya? :)

Jerry is talking about day-to-day production cutting, and it takes a good quality saw to keep up with that. I'm not famiar with the Husky, but it will probably work fine for a weekend warrior who is not planning on going into the tile business. :)

rjkritzer
01-29-2006, 11:52 AM
I just bought and assembled the Husky tile saw from HD for $297 plus tax (I have not used it yet, but will update this post in a few days after I get started).

It is the type of saw where the blade is fixed and the tile/table slides into the blade. It comes with a stand and has a laser for alignment. You will need to supply two AAA batteries for the laser (for me that means another trip to the store). The total assembly time was about 40 minutes.

So far, I am very impressed with the saw. When compared to a "professional" saw that I rented a couple of months ago, I would say the Husky is just slightly less robust. It seems like it will be ideal for occasional use by a homeowner doing a few projects here and there. I would think in the long run, a professional would prefer a more robust saw since eventually something will wear or break faster on the Husky. To save cost, I expect that the Husky is built with some cheaper components/bearings/gears/etc that are not apparent on the surface.

I bought this one because the rental cost is $90/day, and I do not like to rush with my projects. I am doing a powder room now with marble and expect some delays in due to the pattern that I am using. I needed a saw that would allow for diagonal cuts on 12" tiles. This one will cut diagonals on 16" tiles, which is more than all other sub $300 saws that I found. For me, this saw will be way more than adequate. Side note: If someone in the Philadelphia area wants to buy mine when I finish, just let me know. The use from my project will be very slight, so maybe a price of $200 would be a good deal for each of us. Sorry to the board if offering a saw for sale is tacky - it is just an offer for someone who would rather not spend the full price of a new one. I really do not have a big agenda to make a sale. :devil2:

Reviewing quickly, I was impressed with the overall quality of the design. The stand is durable tubing (slightly less durable than the welded "L" brackets on the professional models). The tub is rugged plastic. The motor and blade bracket is a solid cast part that bolts to the frame of tray. The table rides smoothly on the rails of the frame, creating a pretty sure alignment between the blade and sliding table. Overall, it is a nice design, easy to assemble, and included all tools. In my opinion it is a good deal. :tup1:

opiethetileman
01-29-2006, 12:03 PM
i Have one got it when it came out. Its like the MK 370 470. its ok I use it for walls 4x4 and 6 and 6x10 and sucks. Also it is my paver saw sunshine pavers. its okay for the money. But i go back the big ole brute the superior xl all the tile. I have XL's set up rite now in the resturant I have them sitting in kiddie pools so I have plenty of water.

JTG
01-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Opie
the kiddie pools are great. We use them all the time. In the winter when you want to set up in the garage and working on the 20th floor of a highrise.
There are two back by the garage blowing around in the wind now.
JTG

rjkritzer
01-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Well, I could not wait any longer so I decided to cut some marble on my new Husky wet saw. Compared to the professional model I rented recently, the Husky is somewhat rougher. The professional saw cut through ceramic like a hot knife through butter, the Husky is more like a cool knife through butter. I found it to be louder, coarser and occasionally the sliding tray seemed to grab and require of bit of a push to get it moving. On a scale of 1 to 10 the professional was a 10 and this is about a 6 - 7. It is not horrible, and will do my job just fine, but not as smoothly as hoped.

On the other job I did using the rented saw, I was cutting 12" ceramic tiles, now I am cutting 12" marble - that may make some difference - I don't know.

That's my 2 cents.

Bob

TonyCanou
01-29-2006, 07:03 PM
to rjkritzer (and everyone else),

thanks for the info. I wonder if the slow cutting issue is because of the blade as opposed to the saw. I believe you usually you get an inexpensive blade with the saw at that price range. I think they have special blades for cutting marble.

thoughts anyone?

rjkritzer
02-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Just finished cutting and laying the marble for my small project, and used the Husky saw as mentioned above. Overall, I think the saw is well worth the $300 for light duty work.

One thing that I thought I would add here is that I really liked the laser guide on the saw for aligning the cuts, but just as importantly, I used it for safety. I did a boat-load of diagonal cuts on small pieces, cut narrow strips, and also cut out a toilet flange and I had one golden rule - "never let the laser light cross over my hands or fingers". It worked, I still have all my fingers.

For a pro, safe operation probably comes naturally, but for me as a beginner, I found this allowed me to be more safe while focusing on the work.

Bob

jdm
02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
The Husky THD-950 is a new version of the Workforce THD-850. Both names are HD store brands and could the "THD" stand for "The Home Depot"?

They are both grinder-motor type saws. The newer one is a bit bigger for larger tiles. It also has an outward bend it the motor support arm to increase the distance between the arm and the blade.

Grinder-type saws tend to be very loud. They don't develop as much torque for the horsepower as saws with larger motors. And unless you speak fluent Chinese, I wouldn't count on being able to track down replacement parts.

Bob --

I'm not looking for a saw, but I'm in Cherry Hill. Where are you?

sandbagger
05-20-2006, 01:53 PM
an update - fwiw.

Picked up the 950 to finish the shower and floor job. HD gave me a $35 "rebate" so that helped. Yes, it's noisy - have to wear ear plugs and can't really do much after about 9pm.

Cuts are reasonably smooth if you take it slow, and I've had pretty good luck minimizing the chipping at the end of the cut. No doubt a few $$ for a better blade would help, especially if I was cutting something like marble (I'm not).

Laser is nice - especially for cutting smaller pieces or odd angles where the fence doesn't really work well. and dittos to the earlier comment about safety.

the one downside - the clamp-on angle guide will not open to a full 45. It's off a degree or two - enough to be noticeable on larger tiles. The good news regarding service is that I called the 800 support number and actually got an English-speaking person! Told him about the angle issue and he sent me a new attachment - arrived in less than a week. Bad news is that it's exactly like the one I have. So my choice appears to be return the saw or file down the edge of the guide a little. I suspect I'll try the filing now that I have a spare guide to play with.

Bottom line - if I was a pro I probably wouldn't buy this saw. But for the weekend warrior/remodeler who can cut-a-few/set-a-few and not overload the motor it's quite a bit of saw for the money. Be sure to buy it with a credit card that has the extended warranty feature. Yes, I know the argument about buying a "pro" saw and selling later - I did that with a sheet-metal bender for siding a few years ago and did quite well. But wife wants something for hobbies and I'm sure small projects will come up so we'll keep it and use it occasionally. Size and weight, plus wheeled stand make it easy to move around. But I don't think Felker has a lot to worry about just yet. ;)

edit: almost forgot - This is important! If you opt for the Husky be sure to register on their website. They wouldn't send the part until I did. The trick is there's a time constraint and the website address is not that obvious. It's in the "important" paragraph on page 2 - which of course no DIYer worth his salt ever reads. :rolleyes:

Beachman
05-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I bought a QEP Bridge Saw from Home Depot to do my first tile job. A bridge saw is the type of saw where the piece being cut remains stationary and the saw/motor slides along a top rail. I'm a homeowner, not a professional. The thing weighs a ton but is on casters and the legs fold up. It may not be too practical for the everyday professional tile layer. But, boy did it make my life easier!! I layed my 18x18 porcelain tile on the diagonal and I could make a one pass cut down the middle on a diagonal (approx. 24") without having to move the tile. I'll probably sell it when I'm through and be out about $100.

Zaritile
05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
did the qep make a lot of noise? I saw and thought about, but I like useing the felker fhs-4 handheld. I mark my line on the tile with a framing square, then cut. It cuts smooth, and it is very portable. Some pros will say my cuts will not look good this way, but every cut tile that you can see the cut edge, I take my grinder and make it like a factory edge. A big wet saw wont give you that slight bevel anyways, so it works great. I have a very steady hand, so its not much of hassle for me holding that 7 pound felker, but if you got a shakey handy, your screwed. Great for cutting tiolet flange hole too.

Beachman
05-21-2006, 08:18 AM
I don't think the QEP bridge saw is any noisier than a hand held or smaller saw. But, I always wear ear plugs anyway.

John Bridge
05-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi all, :)

For do-it-yourselfers the noise factor isn't all that important. Anything that will cut your tile around corners is great. For the pro it's much more important. I just love the quiet induction motor on my Felker TM-75, for example. It doesn't make any noise until I shove the tile into the blade.

Hey, throw some first names up here, will ya? ;)

Zaritile
05-21-2006, 08:20 PM
ok... names charles

Deadpool9
05-22-2006, 07:17 AM
I was looking at the Husky saw myself untill I saw the Felker TM-75, now I may go that way.

Jagman2
05-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Used Felker TM-75 on ebay. 3 hours left and it sits at $150.
It doesn't look too shabby. No bids either

http://cgi.ebay.com/FELKER-TM-75-TILE-SAW-L-K-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ7619908410QQcategoryZ20790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sjs
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
To Beachman:
How smooth a cut did the QEP bridge saw manage? So far, all the reasonably priced tile saws HWMBO has seen up here in Ottawa have flimsy tables and considerable run-out causing chipping. I know the TM-75 is recommended, but the closest dealer is 3 hours away and HWMBO won't buy a tool sight-unseen. The QEP saw is available a mere 1.5hours away. (!) Would you say it would be worth the trip? I need a smooth cut because I'm doing a diagonal field in a straight border so cut edges will be visible.)

(Mind you, now HWMBO has seen the DeWalt $1200 saw and has fallen in love. Gack! $1200??? Forget it!)

Jane

postmansi
10-17-2006, 07:27 AM
To Sandbagger, (or anyone who has used this saw)

Do you think the Husky will cut a 21" tile?
It says on the box it will cut 22".
Or does that mean I will have to cut part way and then flip the tile to complete the cut?

Thanks
Jon

dpeder
10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
I just used the husky saw for the first time I bought it because I was tired of lugging my MK 101 into areas without easy access I was quite supprised by the power in this little saw cuts straight lazer handy and easy to adjust. as far as cutting a 22" without flipping it I was cutting 18" travertine on a diagonal half around 22 1/4" and had to slide the last 2" on the table to get thru the cut. I think they mean you can split a 22" tile because it will clear the head support on the side of the saw and they are correct. All in all I think it's a good saw for the money paid. seems to be pretty well built we'll see how long it holds up but for me its paid for itselve already with this one job and wear and tear of running up stairs for cuts

hope this helps
Don

dbean
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I have a HD Workforce tile saw (bought for $88 2 years ago). I am a DIYer, not a professional. I am starting a bathroom project, and am wordering if the deal on the Felker 75 (158.97 A/R) would be a good idea. The $88 saw SEEMS ok for the last ~1000 sq ft I have laid. Would I greatly benefit from buying the TM75? 13" on shower walls (may some diagonal), and 20" on the floor.

Thanks
Derrick

sgrandjean
10-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Derrick,
I think you'll be done with your cutting much sooner. The little motor on the $88 el cheapo doesn't compare to the 3/4 of the TM-75. Plus, you can easily sell the Felker and get a decent return on your investment, if you decide you no longer need the saw.
Cheers.

nashkato
10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
The little motor on the $88 el cheapo doesn't compare to the 3/4 of the TM-75
I don't doubt that the Felker is a really nice saw and it is definitelya great deal at $158. I saw it for $299 in my local Lowes 3 days ago. It definitely looks nicer than the $88 Depot saw. However, just to be fair, both are 3/4HP. Check out the specs for yourself online: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100074675

Cheers, Derek (a different guy and a different spelling!)

dbean
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
So the $150 is worth it, is what you two are telling me.

I will let a few more weigh in and then make the purchase...

Derrick

sandbagger
10-19-2006, 03:13 AM
both are 3/4HP.... I believe it is more precise to say that bot are rated at 3/4 hp. I seem to recall a thread here somewhere about motor power ratings.

DaleC
10-19-2006, 06:16 AM
i bought a husky saw before i found this site .....ie before i knew
better.

its plowed through 2 tiling jobs now & seems to be ok.

i put a hot dog blade on it and just finished a master shower with
rialto porcelain tile.....it did just fine.

the small motor leads me to believe it wouldn't hold up to the rigours
of everyday use though.

dbean
10-19-2006, 07:21 AM
I have read several threads that say you need a good blade. Maybe I will hold off on the new saw, and spend a few dollars on a good blade.

Does anyone have a suggestion for my saw?

Worforce tile saw at HD (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...sp?pn=100074675)
(thanks Derek for the link)

DBEAN

tileguytodd
10-19-2006, 07:40 AM
:shake: the blind being led by the blind....... :yeah:

why do you want to buy saws from companies that practice deception in thier marketing.
I thought the american consumer was smarter than that!! :nod:

Go to our (liberry) read the article on motors and Arm yourself with enough information to make an Informed intelligent decision!!

I cannot save those of you who who buy strictly price.............your already lost...........But those who want quality equipment that has actual Value.......youve got to quit listening to the guy who spent 80.00 and did a bathroom floor..............cmon, how much does this person ACTUALLY KNOW about tile saws??

Buy a Felker..........Use it and you'll have something that is WORTH money when you are through, a name that sells!!

List an offbrand name saw on ebay and its lost in the masses.....List a Felker and it gets sold!!
Throw away 88.00 or 199.00 or whatever on the off name saws or recover much of your investment after completeing your project with the added benefit of having top notch equipment to use doing your project.

Dont believe me.............Go look on ebay at all the saws that dont sell
Then look at Felker... or Target................I rest my case.

People.............I am trying to HELP YOU!!!!

jscotlandr
12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
My Husky tile saw has a problem with the blade wetting mechanism. The jets under the blade guard do not wet the blade. The RPM of the blade seems to "blow" the water into the blade guard where it drips back into the resevoir pan. I am therefore dry cutting the tile. Only cut one tile before I took off the guard to check out the problem. I have tried to modify the holes to get the H2O to hit the blade to no avail. Is this normal? Does anyone elses saw do this?

Scot

sandbagger
12-04-2006, 11:29 PM
which saw? I have the 950L and it gets plenty of water on the blade.

jscotlandr
12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes it is the 950

sandbagger
12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
If you bought it recently just box it up and take it back to Homer.

den24
12-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I had the same problem with my Husky after a few uses.I disconnected the hose from the pump and blew it out,seems like the holes get clogged. :goodluck:

Oakton21
12-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Purchased one these saws from HD last April 06 and used it to install two kitchen backsplashes w/o any problems. Third time was the charm! The ball bearings in the motor crapped out and locked the motor up. When I took the saw back to HD they said sorry we only have a 30 day warranty. HD offered send the saw off for a charge to the manufacture but you have to have the original box, wait two weeks for a reply and then it will be up to the manufacture to warranty the saw.

My opinion - long term relability and durability of the product is not what is excepted for the price.

sandbagger
12-25-2006, 11:04 AM
the Husky has a one year warranty, but you have to deal direct - do NOT try to deal with Homer! Believe it or not, this is not all that difficult. my fence was not liniing up straight so I called them. Got a real person - who actually spoke English - and she mailed me a new fence. here's the link

https://site296.mysite4now.com/chervonpower/workforce.asp?P=THD950

:goodluck:

chas22
12-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I believe the Felker TM-75 and the HD workforce @ $88.00 are both made in China :yeah:

ChadCapeland
12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Induction motor, and it's on sale for only $159 now? Nice. Too bad it only does 14" tiles. I need to rip 16" for my next project. What would be something similar but with a tiny bit more capacity?

sandbagger
12-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I believe you can flip the tile over and get a few more inches. Haven't used the saw, but seems I've read that here somewhere about the TM-75.

Tool Guy - Kg
12-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Chad,
It's an awful lot of saw for only $159. And I used it to rip stone tiles on a bathroom that were 3' long. I wouldn't have any problem ripping 16" tiles. Get a bigger saw if you can afford it, I say. But that's one cheap price for a nice little saw like that. :nod:

And if you want to read about flipping the tiles like Art is talking about, it's in the Liberry under the thread title: Cutting tiles diagonally with a small saw (Felker TM-75) (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28371). :)

ChadCapeland
12-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Ok, so how do you rip a 3' long tile? Is there enough clearance to put a piece of plywood on the table to allow you to pass the tile over the stop at the front of the table?

I'm thinking my next project will be 16x16" quartzite tiles, and I know after doing 24x16 granite on that cheap $50 water spewing mini table saw that I want a real induction motor, but I was concerned about not having the "infinite clearance" I have with the undermounted design.

I don't need diagonal cuts, and I suppose it is unlikely I will need to cut EXACTLY down the middle, more likely I'll need to take a couple inches off a side, but is it hard to use the sliding table when you don't have the stop on the front? I can buy 12x12" quartzite instead, but then I have to grout more...

As you can tell, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

- Chad

sandbagger
12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
thanks for the assist there, Tonto.

regarding the Husky water flow problem posted awhile ago.... Just in case anyone's looking, I was cleaning my tray and all and noticed there's a little slider control on the side of the Husky water pump. Never noticed it before and don't recall seeing it in the manual. (not that I actually read those things. :D ) At any rate, it looks a whole lot like a flow control - make sure it's on "max" if you're not getting enough water. :twitch:

Captainron
12-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Bought a Husky to renovate two bathrooms. So far, it has worked well. I did buy a new blade at HD - an MK Diamond. It seems to have improved the performance. Don't count on the fence being a perfect 90 degrees.

bmnanc
04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
I purchased a Husky wet saw from The Home Depot in November 2006. Performance was acceptable for two small jobs but at the end of putting down a tiled bathroom floor, the motor locked up (bearings and brushes were gone). The right angle motor is of the same quality as a typical "cheap right angle grinder". Since I'd owned the tool for more than the "90-day return limit" the store manager kindly provided me with a $300 store credit. The higher priced QEP is going for close to $600 so here I am stuck with a store credit with no reasonable replacement available. The more I write, the more I upset I get. In short, avoid the Husky THD950 and either "pay the rental fees" or buy another brand other than "Husky". I have two more home projects to do so it looks like I'll use the HD credit to buy some tile and supplies and pay the rental next time.

RWS
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Just bought a Felker fts-150 from the TYW store and can't wait for it to arrive. Getting ready to tile the kitchen counters in granite and after reading numerous threads here decided on that saw. After the kitchen I have three bathrooms to do so I thought a good saw would be nice to have.

sandbagger
04-14-2007, 10:14 PM
bm - did you miss my #38 in this thread? The Husky has a 1 year warranty, but you have to deal direct.

Mr Homeowner
04-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, I read all the posts here and decided that the Dewalt wet saw was what I wanted. Well, $1000 is just too much for the weekend warrior to spend for a tile saw, so I purchased the Handy Dandy Husky 7" saw over the not-readily-available MK 370 exp (for about $300 also) that had pretty rotten user reviews anyway.

The Husky setup pretty fast (so I thought). Popup the stand, stick the water tray in, throw the table in, bolt on the motor mount assembly, mount the blade, run the water hose, pump cable - no big deal...

Cool - take the saw over to my "job" (350 ft of 16" tiles around cabinets, doorways, pantries, etc.) and cut the first tile. Blade OK, I had provided a fresh water bucket after reading about the cheap pumps, noticed the laser and setup pretty cheesy, and started trying to figure out what I needed to bend to get the table square with the blade. WELL - guess what? You can loosen the bolts holding the table slide assembly in relation to the frame (upon which the motor mount bolts to). After messing with it, I found that if you loosen both bolts (1 front and 1 rear), you can set the blade in relation to the center mark on the rear of the table with the rear position the the front (torwards you) center mark with the from position. You will have to provide your own allen wrench and ingenuity, since the Chinese booklet and toolkit don't seem inclined to help you do this. I decided mine was close enough with a 1/16" difference when pushing one of the 16" tiles through. There's enough slop in the table that you probably couldn't hold that tolerence unless you pushed on the same spot every time anyway.

Well, after changing blades once - (I next bought a loser Hitachi blade from Lowes, what a pos) I got through the tiles I needed cut (prior to the 3 bathrooms I'm doing next) and I guess the Husky is OK for the $300. I'm comparing to the water-in-the-face spraying $88 QEP table saw that I'll be sticking on eBay soon. Definitely get some earplugs, provide a clean water bucket for the pump, get a better blade, spend some time trying to align the table, don't expect much from the laser, and by the way - do this somewhere where you can make a big mess. The water spray out the back is bad and with the 16" tiles, it was drooling, dripping, spraying, and running all over the place behind the saw. (The Dewalt reviewers say they could use that saw on carpet in a customers home.)

So to recap - it's $300, pretty lightweight to carry around, comes with a stand, comes with a laser that's better than not having one at all, can be aligned for relatively precise cutting, makes a big mess, will ruin your hearing, and can be picked up anywhere in the US. If I were a pro, I would stay away from this baby (and the cheap MK saws made in China), but I must say that it got the job done for me. Oh - I didn't mention that you can sort of use this for plunge cutting by loosening the handscrew that sets the blade height in relation to the table by pivoting the motor and blade towards you (although the guide goes right up with the motor...).

One other note - this saw has a couple of extensions that allow the table to extend both towards the rear and towards the front (user). There is the stupid little lever that locks all 3, the front 2, or none. Well mine didn't come with any hardware under the pre-assembled table that connect the rear extension to anything, so it just slides out, gets caught on the rubber water diverter from the back of the blade and then catches the rubber piece keeping you from bringing the tray back towards you with smashing the rubber against the back of the blade. At best it would half-assed work, but all-in-all its a poor design (as are many things about this saw).

So - hopefully I have helped someone else here. Don't expect a great deal from this saw, but if you need the cheapest saw to get you through a few tile jobs thats way better than the cheapo wet table saws, this may do. You may check out the MK 360 exp for about the same price, which has similar specs but the user groups really trashed it.

good luck!

KCT
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
After four pages I see I'm late to this thread... :) I have one of these. Don't kill me, but I do like it. I liked the laser (didn't take long for it to stop working) and the stand is great. The saw itself? Another right angle screamer. I use my MK 101 pump with it. It does spray more water out the back than usual. I put a piece of plastic behind the motor, down into the pan (kinda like a vapor barrier over studs that laps over the tub ledge). I used it in someone's house this way and it was fine. The sheer scream of the motor is not fine.

I'd say for a DIY-er... It might be all right if you can take the noise. Did I mention it has a nice stand?

BedrockCreations
04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
:tup2: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=24376 :tup2:

MUDDY
04-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Ok. Thought id add my two bits. Its a good saw! For the money! For the homeowner. For the pro who wants a small saw that can pay for itself and be tossed away someday. I have had three of them, the first two were thd 850s, they worked, one angle grinder stuck up, but they replaced it (chevron tools mfg) and now a 950 thd, the 950 is a better design than the 850, the laser is a joke, ( water laser ) mmm no, blade replacement not as easy, the angle grinder is a beef up from the 850, or atleast mine has to be going on 1000 plus cuts if not way more, so its payed for itself. The guides and that stuff no comment never use them. My reason for purchase over and over, it does the job, mabey not perfict, or some crazy materials, but what do you want for the money, I dont like small saws, i really dislike angle grinder saws, but they have there place, and they are small and portable. MK angle grinder saw replacement for motor, 200.00 plus, or 300.00 and new saw.... Yup the MK motor will last a bit longer but i cant say i have had any better luck in the angle grinder type of saw with any brand. So dont dump it bump it :rofl: ... For a home owner if you treat it good you will probably have it the rest of your life, and for the pro, it pays for itself on the small jobs, just throw it away once its dead and buy a new one... Im totally happy with it for what it is.... P.S. I only run hotdog blades in mine mabey that makes a huge differance, i dont like blades with larger kerfs (thickness)... Thanks and Chevron Tool MFG is not hard to deal with atleast not in my experance. Thanks.

sandbagger
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
It's actually CHERVON tools, not the oil company. And yes, they're pretty good to deal with, much to my surprise.

slayer73
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I have the 950 and with alittle tweeking it is a great saw. We set it up and cut all the tile in the last bathroom that we did. Cut many 6" at a 45 deg and it worked like a charm. As far as the problems go that others have experienced, i have gotten other expensive tools that I had problems with too. With every brand you can find a lemon.

Good Luck with your saw!

z_28
08-18-2007, 04:36 AM
I bought Workforce THD550 and it's still working after one bathroom in marble.
Second to go.
But my friend bought Husky THD950L and lost brushes completely.
Any tip where we can order replacement brushes for THD950L ?
Links I found in this thread are old and outdated :^(
Thank you
Z

in2tile
08-18-2007, 08:25 AM
My helper bought this saw for his side jobs, i poked fun at him at first,then used it to clip about 100 crns in 4'' stonepeaks porcelain tile for b/splash i was doing. worked rather excellent, blade has very little deflection and motor has good power for the money. Actually made better jollys on 6'' porcelain than the new dewalt saw w/10'' blade.
its way better than the old MK 270 grinder type that i have.
yes its a loud sucker and sprays more water than a pressure washer,but if its set up out side its ok.
would be nice if you could tilt head to angles other than 45, however pre -slotted tray restricts this.
water flapper on rear is a pita as well ,does hang up when returning tray to start position. i took it off .
angle guide is a bit flakey and plastic water tray seemes as though it could damage easily during transport,
all in all its very light and very fast to set up ,1 bucket of water[3=4 gal ]seems to submerge pump enough to get going.
not sure how long it will hold up though,remember you get what you pay for!!!!

cowboy1964
11-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Anyone use the THD950L for beveling 45 deg. edges? (I think the Husky manual calls it "mitering" instead of beveling)

cowboy1964
11-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I picked up one of these Husky saws today. Seems to be throwing up a lot of dust when I cut. Can anyone that has used that saw comment on their experience with that? The little $88 Felker threw out almost no dust in comparison. I'm not sure my water pump is working too well. It's not putting a whole lot of water on the blade, but the blade isn't getting hot.

Overall it seems to be fairly well made except for the water pump and hose being pretty cheesy. As others have pointed out, the saw is very loud. That $88 Felker was virtually silent.

mctile
11-17-2007, 09:36 AM
I have three saws. The DeWalt 24000, Target tilematic and an old $300.00 work force (I think it is the old version of the husky saw). I am the last person to endorse any HD brand saw, but I got to tell ya', I am really happy with this saw for small jobs. Besides the fact that it is load as #$%^, it cuts straight and is really light. I use it for jobs with anything 6"x6" and under and it has been producing for me for 4 years without a problem. Like I said, the last person to endorse a HD brand tool, but having this saw is like having a hybrid club in my bag.

JaredSchmitt
11-17-2007, 09:54 PM
A couple months ago I bought the Husky THD 950L. I used it on 6 inch ceramic tile for a small bathroom. It wasn't perfect, but it got the job done really well for me - a DIYer. Now, I'm working on another bathroom, and almost every piece I cut seems to crack. Here are the differences between the first job and the second: 1) I put on a new blade, 2) I'm cutting 12 inch travertine, instead of 6 inch ceramic, 3) it's a lot colder now than it was during the previous job.

I'm trying to figure out why the cracking is happening. Is it because I'm cutting different material, or could I have done something wrong when I installed the new blade or did I mess up something else while setting up the saw again?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

cowboy1964
11-17-2007, 11:30 PM
At what point during the cut is it cracking and where does it crack?

I've only cut granite, never travertine, but the worst I've had happen is a small amount of chipping at the end and that was on the $88 Felker, not the $300 Husky. But I don't have much time on the Husky as of yet.

JaredSchmitt
11-18-2007, 07:08 AM
I was cutting on the diagonal, and it broke into about 4 pieces when I was about a quarter of the way through the tile.

mctile
11-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Sounds like cheap travertine. If you turn it upside down, I'll be willing to bet that your trav. is very porus and has a whole lot of filler on the face. Make sure you burn thin-set into those voids on the underside of those tiles before you set them. If your saw is breaking tiles, think of what will happen when big ol' Auntie Bertha gets to elephanting around on 'em. :eek:

AntMan
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I've had my THD950 for about 2 years now and it has worked fine. I originally bought it to do 1400 sq ft of diagonal set porcelain tile with 4x4 black granite insets in the corners. At the time, saw rental was about $50 per day, so $300 was a good price since it took me more than 6 days to install it all. I also did some Marble around a couple fireplaces and it worked fine. I have found that the Marble and Granite seemed softer than the porcelain, though the Marble and Granite did seem prone to chipping along the cut edge more than the Porcelain. All of this with the OEM blade...no problems. It was less than ideal for ripping 20" tiles diagonally, but it worked okay - again for the price.

The saw worked great until recently when I changed out the blade and have been using it to cut 2 3/8" thick concrete pavers for my patio. It held up fine through the first two weekends until finally the bearing went out on the motor (as another post mentioned). So I got online and found the bearing (6001-2RS) for $1.50 and replaced it. It works fine now again. Obviously cutting a 2 3/8" concrete brick is more challenging than a 3/8" tile as I have been through two MK paver blades already and the bearing gave out. While I had the motor apart, I checked the brushes and they are fine.

After reading some of the other posts, here are some tips I have.

The table does seem to bind after a while when sliding it. Since it has wheels on the right and a slider on the left, it is the slider that gets gummed up with tile dust. Oil it often and change out the water in the tub every couple hours. After about 20 hours, I totally disassembled the sliders and cleaned them up. That helped a lot. Changing the water fairly often also extends the blade life as the grit in the water being recycled also wears on the blade.

After the tile project, I took apart the pump (carefully) and cleaned out the bits of tile that had accumulated. I always run the pump at max flow and that works great.

In replacing the bearing, all it takes is to remove the blade cover, remove the blade, then 4 screws that hold the motor onto the cast-iron holder. After that, 4 more screws remove the main gear and shaft (that the blade is on), then 4 more screws will remove the gear housing and expose the motor's worm gear and the bad bearing (shouldn't need to disconnect the ground wire, just carefully hinge the housing away). Take off the snap ring, then pull off the bearing (outside race and the balls will come right out if it is bad). Will need a bearing puller to get the inside race off. Clean out all the pieces of bearing and seal that have spread around. Don't pull the worm gear away from the motor body, or it will make the brushes slide off the motor (then you will have a side job of re-seating them). Once it was all cleaned up, then put the new bearing over the worm-gear and then use a 1/2" deep socket over the worm gear to tap the bearing down onto the shaft. Replace the snap ring and reassemble everything in the reverse order. You might also consider replacing the grease in the gearbox with a high-speed grease to extend the life further.

Overall, this is a good saw at a good price. The weak point of the saw seems to be the bearing around the worm-gear, but I didn't have the problem until using it outside of it's intended design environment (pavers). I hope this helps someone out ($1.50 for bearings and about 20 minutes is better than buying another saw or sucking up a rental fee).

kilingiros
03-16-2008, 11:57 AM
:yipee:
ANTMAN, Where did you get the parts from?

AntMan
03-18-2008, 12:50 AM
I found the bearings in several places, but ordered from theBigBearingStore. Just search on 6001 and it should be the only one that comes up. It comes in -2RS (stands for 2 Rubber Seals) and -ZZ which has metal seals. One of the seals I recovered from the original was good enough to read the number and it was also a -RS. The original had black seals but these have orange seals, otherwise the same. I would recommend getting a couple extra to have on hand since shipping is $6.60 for Post, $15.50 for 2nd Day UPS, or $29 for next day. I sprang for the 2-day so I didn't lose a weekend.

As I went on, I got a little more aggressive and went through a few of them by the time I was done (those bricks are tough!). After a while I could tell when it was going out by the rattle sound it makes. That is the little cage between the balls that fails letting the balls bounce off each other...you can hear it pretty clearly even with earplugs in. If you hear that, you don't have many more cuts left...I would recommend stopping before it locks up, because every time it locks up, your gears are grinding each other up.

Replaced the grease with the thickest grease I could find...a marine bearing grease. If you put too much in, that's okay, it will eject what it doesn't need and you will see it floating in the water at some point...better a little too much than not enough and with all the tile dust and water, it won't mess up your work.

Good luck with it.

kb5ynf
03-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Kilingiros:

You can purchase pretty much every part of this saw online directly from Chervon. Go to Chervon's website to see for yourself.

By the way, I have this saw as well. I only purchased it last week. I was in a bind when my loaner went out and needed something fast. So far, it has worked great. I've got about 2000 sqft of tile to set in the house I'm building so as long as it gets me through this project, I'll consider it money well spent. I've read customer reviews on the saw on other forums and although it isn't a professional saw, it does seem that some pros use it for specific tasks. Judging from what I've read, it does a decent job and is fairly easy to repair when it does break down. Heck, you can buy a replacement motor for just over $100 so that seems to me a decent sort of protection in case it does go out. But if you're not sure, I'd go for a better quality saw.

The laser does suck. But it is still handy. That is one of the reasons I opted for this saw. I was using a square to line up my cuts but the laser makes that part of the job much quicker and easier. When I first started using the saw, the laser was pretty solid. It's easy to calibrate initially and for me it held alignment for the first several cuts. But after a while, the laser started to get out of alignment between cuts. It's simple to line back up and doesn't take any time at all but it is a little aggravating. Also, the laser isn't lined up for the entire path of the table, at least not on mine. When I line the laser up, I make sure that I don't move the table until I have my tile squared away because as I move the table one way or the other, the laser line drifts away from the lineup arrows on the table. The table for me seems to be close to true so it's just the laser that has the issue. I'm not sure what causes it to drift during each cut, possibly vibration, but I'm still able to use it and I do.

The saw is loud, as others have mentioned, but I use hearing protection anyway because I already have 50% loss in one ear and I don't want my hearing to get any worse; it kind of sucks already.

By the way, I'm a long time DIY, I rarely pay anyone to do anything for me unless I just don't have the time. I guess I'm cheap that way. But I just wanted to say that I've been lurking on this site for months and I've gleaned a lot of good information from the regulars here. Thanks for being a great resource!

Regards,

AntMan
03-22-2008, 02:04 AM
kb5ynf,

:uhh:
Unless I missed something, Chervon doesn't sell parts for the motor, just the whole motor itself for $112.76. Would be nice to know where to find brushes for the motor also...I believe someone earlier in this thread was looking for them.

kb5ynf
03-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey AntMan:

The brushes are listed in their parts list for sell. I didn't see the bearings though. :uhh:

I guess I saw the brushes last time and didn't notice that the bearings weren't listed. Sorry about that.

Regards,

poporacer
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
In one of the posts about this saw it states that they cut 20" tile on the diagonal. Was it in the middle? I have some 20" tiles that I need to cut down the center...How was it done, cut part way and then flip them? I also see that some people recommend that you get a different blade, any suggestions?

sandbagger
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
the saw tray has a sliding extension to accomodate the larger tiles.

kb5ynf
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
POPORACER:

I cut a lot of 16" tiles on mine, some were in the middle and if I'm not mistaken, I'd bet you'd be pushing it to cut 20" from corner to corner like that. It does have the slide out extensions which help for such cuts but I ran out of table travel on a few cuts and finished up by pushing the tile into the blade, probably less than an inch but it was still short.

Another concern will be clearance on the left side. I had to make some cuts with over half the tile hanging off of the right side of the table because the support arm for the motor gets in the way. That wasn't a problem most of the time but it was on some diagonals.

I'm still using mine and still happy so far. I have another 200 to 300 sqft to set before I'm finished.

Regards

kb5ynf
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
In case anyone is interested, I fixed the laser guide on my saw. I know others have expressed disgust with that feature on this saw but I'm not sure if their problems were the same as mine. For me, the laser would travel when the saw was running. For instance, I'd calibrate it to the table and then when I turned the saw on, the laser would vibrate out of line with the table. It seemed to me that the rear calibration screw, the one closest to the blade, would hold true but the one closer to the front of the table would travel, the set screw on the right. I took mine apart to see how it worked and I saw no reason for it to travel other than the screw moving; it did feel a little loose. I reasoned that if I could stop the screw from moving, it would fix the laser issue. I didn't have any loctite or anything like that handy so I just wrapped it in teflon plumbing tape and it has worked better ever since. It does still vibrate a little but it is almost a non-issue now. I can make several cuts before it needs adjustment again and even then it has just barely moved to one side or the other.

Anyway, I thought that info might be useful to someone else.

jeffer46
06-10-2008, 08:44 PM
ive had one for about 6 mos now-love it! been doing this for over 20 years,and thats just one reasonon i love.tile work is very hard on your body over the yrs. this saw is light,easy set up,easy to clean on jobs where you have to be neat on clean-up,i also like the miter featurs and the accuracy you can get.just dont know how long th tray will last,but just baby it a little,my last saws were a target amd a highe line mk-mosters that are expensive and really only practical if you have several people using it that dont care about you tools-they are heavy duty!but this one paid for itself on the 1st job-defietly a thumbs up,jefff

keastman
10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I just picked up one of these tonight for $100 (the 850 model), it was used on one residential job by a DIYer. It also came with a 1/4 round edge blade for travertine and two extra blades, 4-50# bags of Mapie Ultraflex 1 white mortar, a bunch of wall tile, and a Wagner Paint Crew paint sprayer, and about 6 boxes of wall tile. Basically a woman that wanted the garage cleaned out. So, for that price and the extras, It won't owe me much if it only gets a few jobs done. I've got about 250sq ft for a bathroom to do and I'm sure it will do just fine for that. I'll end up donating the tile to Habitat, but the woman was glad to get it all out of her garage. Craig's list has some good finds at times.

JonBoi
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Hay guys. New to this site. Just was wondering if anyone has had problems with the pump that comes with the THD 950. I am getting so frustated. Everytime I stop to take measurements, I have to take the pump apart to get it started and pray that it doesn't stop. Will Husky give replacement.

I've had it for a couple of years, but I don't think I every registered. I cut 12 x 12 and 4 x 4. Works fine. I don't use everyday; just once in a while. But I agree - for the price I give it an 8 (scale 1-10). Just that pump. I also have the little MK (portable). The one u have to slide the tile underneath. Yeah, I know. It's collecting dust in the basement.

Any suggestion about pump would be appreciated. They got to come up with better pumps for cutters.

sandbagger
02-14-2009, 02:31 AM
haven't had any problems with mine, but you're probably out of luck with parts from Husky. I think you can just buy a generic replacement pump for a few bucks and be back in bidness.

gwataloo
02-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I know Lowes has pumps , there with the Koi pond supplies. Now if you decide to get a little bigger pump , you will need to go to the plumbing department and get a brass reducer to screw on to the pump. This way your hose will fit on to it.

BobSki
04-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Just returned a QEP 24 inch band saw to Lowes. The saw was a little weak in construction but could of made it work. I returned it because the blade would bog down during cuts and had a vibrate to it at low speed and with the two combined it would break my 16 inch tiles. Also the v in the table guide was not installed in the correct place which would put the blade of center during diag. cuts. The laser was weak and moved often and the angle guide was useless because it sits too high and the tiles slide underneath it. Bottom line is the saw is rated to cut 24 inch tiles but is to underpowered at 3500rpms to do the job. Also the blade requires an 8 inch replacement only which unfortunatly no one carries.
Picked up the thd 950 and was surprised at how light it was but yet how sturdy it was at the same time. Picked up a Dewalt 7 inch blade and will get to work in the morning. I will post again after I do some work, hopefully with 7000rpms behind me the job will go easy.

sandbagger
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I've finished another bedroom and hall since the last post. I use the Hot Dog blade and we're still going strong. I didn't care for the Hot Dog at first but it did a nice job. The hall was a PITA - I probably had some sort of cut on 75% of tiles. (NINE doors will do that to you. :eek: )

be sure to wear ear protection, and don't expect the laser to be too accurate. It will get you close, and that's usually good enough.

kb5ynf
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I know this thread is dead but I finished my house... and thus, my tile job in September of last year and never did follow up on my saw. It was still working fine the day I made the last cut. It's been sitting in the garage since then though and I just moved it to the attic so it would be out of the way. I know some folks on this thread were looking at whether the saw was worth the cost or not. For me it was. If it had broken down before I finished, then no, it would have been a hassle but it worked out fine for me.

When I finished my house and closed with the bank, I said I'd never lay tile again... But now, I'm thinking about doing my mom and dad's kitchen for them as a Christmas gift. Hopefully, the saw will still be in working order when I start that small project. :cool:

ekesz13
09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey guys, just doing a search on this saw and found this thread. This saw is currently on sale (online only) at Home Depot for $149 with free shipping (originally $269). Use coupon code SAVECJU29 and you get another $10 off. Figured for $139 + local tax, it was worth a shot. Now I am going to try to find this "Dewalt 7" blade" I have seen people talking about on here and spend some of that saved money on a good blade!

sunrisehomerevival
02-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Have had my THD950 for 4 years now and just had to order a new motor and slide rail. I went to ww w.huskysupport.com/products to order the replacement parts. 100 bucks plush shipping. Love this saw, however, they no longer make it. Tile Doctor. com has it and it is available at costco is what the people at husky told me. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone.

Paulnky
11-14-2010, 05:44 AM
My buddy bought one of these (Workforce CTC 850) and between the two of us it has done a fair amount. I burned the bearing at the top last night.

$1.08 + 12.00 shipping LOL. Anyway it is a 7mm x 19mm x 6mm sealed bearing, The numbers are ID x OD x depth. thebigbearingstore.com

Also putting one of your lady's stockings on the water pump and over the top of the motor helps keep the crud out.

I agree with the others here about the good and the bad.

Davestone
11-14-2010, 06:10 AM
On that pump,run some clean water throught it and shoot some wd40 in it before putting it away.