Cleaning sealer from slate [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning sealer from slate

lyle
12-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Hello.

I recently laid 130 sq ft of unguaged Chinese imperial black slate in a bathroom. The slate covers the floof and the shower (three walls, floor). The Home Depot rep recomended I use Tile Lab's "Gloss Sealer & Finish" on the slate. I did so - three coats before grouting, one after. I Have now found out this is the incorrect sealer and am forced to strip and reseal with Tile Lab's "SurfaceGard Penetrating Sealer". Home depot recommended I use "Sulfamic Acid Cleaner" to remove the "Gloss Sealer & Finish" I have done this, but it does not appear to have made a dent in the "Gloss Sealer & Finish" Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lyle in Victoria, BC

Sponsored Links

Steven Hauser
12-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi Lyle,

It's a shame. Are you sure you can't live with it? If not, is it possible for you to get a professional to remove this for you?

If that doesn't seem possible, then the first thing I want to emphasize is the

<a href="http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/faq.php?">Disclaimer</a>

It is a water based acrylic sealer according to their data sheets.

I would try their Heavy Duty Cleaner and Stripper. You need to apply it and let it sit for several minutes, agitate it with a stiff bristled brush, and then shop vac it up. You would continue this until it is completely removed.

From there you may need to wash the floor with a solution of 30% household ammonia to 70% water. Shop vac this up.

Then you want to use a neutral ph cleaner and wash the installation a few times.

After that is done you will need to allow th emoisture to completely get out of the stone, this may mean leaving it for 3-5 days without doing anything.

Finally you can apply the impregnating repellant aka sealer

:goodluck:

lyle
12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi Steven,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I will try the Heavy Duty Cleaner and Stripper.

>Are you sure you can't live with it?

I am of a mind to leave it alone. But I am more worried about protecting the slate. I cannot get a definitive answer on whether the slate is jeopardized or compromised using "Gloss Sealer & Finish" or is the protection sufficient.

Steven Hauser
12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
The gloss product is topical, so your slate is protected. The problem, is its an acrylic, so sand & such will show scratches.