Quickly grouting - What's the risk? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Quickly grouting - What's the risk?

DonB
12-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I have to tile under the water heater in the laundry room and need to get it back in service asap. What problems am I looking at if I lay tile in the morning, wait until a few hours after it passes the thump test, grout and reinstall the WH later that same night? Let's assume I lay it flat and there's no lippage. Four pieces and five cuts would be affected with around 1 psi under the footprint.

Also, the maximum variation in size I've identified in my tile is 3/16" with a spaced 12 tile average of 11 61/64" (using a 3/16" grout line). Is it better to just lay down a 24" grid to work from and not worry about the little fuzz of a difference that amounts to under a sixteenth per tile? I have a max run of 24'. I set the same tile in a small room on a grid of 23 7/8" and had to do some squeezing at times.

Thanks,
Don

Sponsored Links

bljack
12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Don, why not use a fast setting mortar for there. Grout in two hours, light traffic in 4. You'll have no worries with the waterheater at all then.

DonB
12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks bljack. That's a great idea but I'd rather avoid the expense just to do < 8 ft². The big box store indicates they are very proud of that speed set stuff. My regular mortar passes the thump test within a couple-three hours so it's not so much the mortar bond that concerns me but the grouting within 6-8 hours of setting the tile.

Don

MarcusEngley
12-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I'll echo that Don. I used speed-set for most of my bathroom floor and about half of the shower. I wouldn't do it again for the shower, b/c it was a complicated layout, but if you've got a dry-fit floor layout I'd say go for it. Grout it after you've cleaned up the tools and had a beverage.

Just don't toss the speed-set covered tools in hot water -- guess what heat does to the reaction time... Go on, guess.

MarcusEngley
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
A bag's only $13 at my local HD. You anywhere near Seattle? If so, I've got more than enough for 8 sq ft left over from two weeks ago -- you're welcome to it.

DonB
12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks Marcus but I'm in Lower Alabama. The guy I talked to on the phone seemed exceptionally clueless even for a HD noob. He told me $18 for a 10# bag but couldn't be bothered to check. Sounds like it's not really that bad. Maybe the bag will give me enough to do the fridge hole and get that out of the way quickly too.

I learned a long time ago about throwing my tools in a bucket of water to soak. So, hot water + speed set + tools = about 5 minutes to new tools?

Don

MarcusEngley
12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Wow -- that IS pricey. He may be talking about the wrong thing, though maybe not. The stuff I used was Custom Speed Set (http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SettingMaterialsDIY/SpecialtyMortars/SpeedSetFortifiedThinSet.aspx?user=diy&lang=en) -- came in a 25 pound bag and cost $13 or so, unless I'm totally misremembering. Perhaps he's talking about a different brand, or something else entirely.

You could definitely set other parts of the floor with it. The trick for me was to mix in small batches -- no more than you could set in 20 minutes. If you mix it a little stiff, it sets up quicker and, of course, a little wet buys you a bit more time. 30-40 minutes at the outside.

DonB
12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Marcus,

Methinks that dood didn't have any idea what he was talking about. I'll pick up a bag when I go to town. I'm sure I'll be able to buy exactly what you recommend at the price you suggest.

HD should change their motto to "You just do it, we can't help".

Don

MarcusEngley
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Cheers to that! Hopefully my price point isn't off the mark. Good luck!

DonB
12-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Marcus, you were very close. $11.49 for 25#.

Don

MarcusEngley
12-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Even better! Glad the Homer-folk was wrong.

Tool Guy - Kg
12-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Geez, too bad that orange apron guy didn't attend one of his store's informative classes held by their own experts to infect teach the public with. :rudolph: