Mud-bed! Keeping me awake! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mud-bed! Keeping me awake!

Valerie
05-16-2001, 07:59 PM
Hello John, it is Valerie here with my mud bed problem! I have removed 140SF of tile and found a mud-bed that is in fair shape, I suppose. Looks like the moon and it's many crators, some 2 1/2 inches deep but most of the floor is about 1/2 or 1/4 lower than the exsisting slab. Area is shaped like a T. QUESTION IS: Do I remove all the bed to the slab or do I just float the floor as is to accept 3/8 wood floor, glue down? Will the float stick to what's there already? There is no expansion joints from mud-bed to slab area's. IF I have it floated can I glud the floor down and continue without a threshold between the slab and built up mud-bed?

Hope I gave you the info you need to help. I have never seen a mud-bed and did not know what one was! Thanks to Keith and his kind way's.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
05-17-2001, 06:06 AM
Hello Valerie,

Isn't cyberspace great? You've travelled the world a couple times and ended up right back in Houston.

If everything that remains of your mud bed is sound and tight you can repair it and install your new flooring. You don't need expansion joints because you really don't have any joints. The concrete slab continues under the mud -- it was merely depressed a couple inches. You can continue your new floor right across the transition.

If you have huge holes, you can fill them with deck/floor mortar (which we can tell you how to make). Then go over the whole mess with the float or floor leveller. Jim Buckley (Flatfloor), the guy who told me you were coming, makes the stuff.

Gotta get to work. Ask as many questions as you like.

Valerie
05-17-2001, 07:00 AM
I have learned how to travel in cyberspace, get my computer to work,learn what a mud-bed is, and realize that MOST of the people you do met are the goods guy's. Thank's for your thought's as these are all first's for me, it has been an experience, there is no place like home! Even if it does happen to be Houston! Ha! :) V

John Bridge
05-17-2001, 04:56 PM
Well okay, but if you ever get lost in cyberspace, you'll need directions. I have them posted at the top of my second links page.

http://www.johnbridge.com/links2.htm

flatfloor
05-17-2001, 07:36 PM
Thanks John!

Vias con Dios Valerie!

[Edited by flatfloor on 05-17-2001 at 09:39 PM]

Valerie
05-18-2001, 06:59 AM
Thanks to you all, Wood floor Crew is comming Monday and they say to just fill and go! Tile man still say's dig and start over. I will let you know in a year what happens! I have lost enough sleep and I want to have fun with this! :) Valerie

John Bridge
05-18-2001, 05:37 PM
Yeah, go with the wood floor crew. The tile guy is probably retarded.

But don't wait a year to come back and see us. You can talk about anything you like on this board. Kinda like "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant."

Bud Cline
05-18-2001, 06:21 PM
Valerie,

Apparently you were offended when I suggested (on another board) that you were pulling someones leg.

I APOLOGIZE!

At the time you were hopping around like a little silver ball in a pinball machine, asking the same questions and getting the same answers. These answers were coming from people I know to be some of the best in the flooring business. When you persisted, I got to the point I thought you were pulling our legs. I WAS WRONG, again my apologies. Good luck with your project.

Bud Cline

Valerie
05-19-2001, 03:51 PM
Hey, you are my first cyber friends! And if tile guy's are retarded than I can relate! It takes all type's to make the world go round.
Bud, I was going around like a chicken with it's head cut off! Too many first in one week on top off all else I have been responsable for this month! I am calm, stress free, and back on track, but thank's for the apology, I was hurt
:(.
You will hear from me again as I have just begun! That is enough to scare some of you! Later of to swim team! V