Ideas for HIGH threshold transition?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for HIGH threshold transition??

BenTheGrate
12-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey, everyone! I put travertine in an upstairs bathroom (with significant help from everyone here), but the extra plywood on the subfloor combined with CBU and the thick travertine slabs now means that my bathroom floor is 1 1/8" higher than the carpet in the bedroom.

I can't find ANY commerically made transition that will fit such a huge height difference.

Does anyone know of a transition that might be available? Or will I have to make one of my own? And any suggestions for that?

Thanks!!

Ben the Grate
Dallas, TX

Sponsored Links

Davy
12-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi Ben, you can make one or have one made by a carpenter with a table saw. A nice piece of oak is what alot of folks use. A row of wood shingles under the carpet will help ramp the carpet up about 1/2 inch. I've done that many times. :)

Theoderik
12-03-2005, 04:58 PM
There are underlayment floor levelers. I saw a WONDERFUL product at the flooring store I usually frequent but I can't find the flyer laying anywhere here on my desk. I did a quick google search and found this place . . .

http://www.johnsonite.com/products/subfloor_leveler.htm

The product I saw before was actually made from particle board and therefore was VERY easy to work with. You can simply cut it however you like. Plus, the price is very reasonable. If you care, let me know and I will find out for sure who it was. However, this site (above) should give you an idea of another idea to look into). This type of product can go under your carpet and/or pad to make a smooth transition. It makes for a gradual ramp.

sw (shawn)

pitterpat
12-03-2005, 05:19 PM
What about a carpet shim? You get them at carpet supply stores. They come in 48" widths and you can get them in like 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" heights (or something like those heights). Call a carpet supply house.

chukar8
12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
http://www.carpetshims.com/highinstall.html

here ya go.:D

Theoderik
12-03-2005, 08:44 PM
BAH! that's what I was looking for!

You guys are the best!

sw (shawn)