Help with backerboard (hardibacker) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help with backerboard (hardibacker)

ryanpresley
11-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I have a couple questions about the hardibacker cement backerboard. I really appreciate any help I can get!

1) I'm trying to screw it to the studs and can't get the screws flush, so I turned the torque up on my drill/driver and it ends up snapping the heads off the screws 95% of the time. Do I need special screws or a special countersink bit to get these flush?

2) I'm having the hardest time scoring and snapping the boards, especially on thin pieces. Will this stuff do damage to my table saw or circular saw blades?

Thanks a lot!
Ryan

Sponsored Links

Rich Turley
11-27-2005, 12:04 PM
1) sounds like you're using drywall screws. Hardibacker screws are sold usually near the boards. You could also use roofing nails.

2) What are you scoring with? I use a blade for scoring laminate, works well. I have also cut it with circular saw. Turn the blade around so it won't dull it too fast and cut outside wearing a dust mask.

Rich

pitterpat
11-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I have a couple questions about the hardibacker cement backerboard. I really appreciate any help I can get!

1) I'm trying to screw it to the studs and can't get the screws flush, so I turned the torque up on my drill/driver and it ends up snapping the heads off the screws 95% of the time.
2) I'm having the hardest time scoring and snapping the boards, especially on thin pieces. Will this stuff do damage to my table saw or circular saw blades?

Thanks a lot!
Ryan

1. Are you using the screws that are for backerboard? They have some "flutes" around the head.

2. Don't use the table saw or circular saw, it kicks up too much dust :eek: (IMHO). Do you have one of those carbide tipped scoring tools? If not get one, then score it several times and lean it over the board or table just past the score and snap or push the backer board down to snap it like drywall. The idea is not to cut it but to score it and snap it down like drywall.

mark11755
11-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Respectfully, I'll submit another way to score and snap thin pieces.

When you score the board with a carbide tipped blade, you are "chewing" a "V" groove out of the board, and helping to destroy the matrix of the board. The best way is to do like Pat says and snap down, using a level or a straight edge for leverage, but first turn the board over so that you are snapping into the "V" groove where the matrix has already been compromised. This should yield good results.

Scooter
11-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm just not a score and snap kinda guy. It usually ends up scratch and tear. I've tried the carbide scoring tool and utility blades. Unless that score is about a 16th of an inch, your snap will just tear the board, sending clumps of Hardibacker off the back side.

So I just set up a sawing station outside with a dust mask, and use an el cheapo steel blade on a circular saw. Sometimes I use a diamond blade on by Bosch grinder. Both seem to work better for me.

On the screw issue--I've never got them to work very well. I've had the Hardi screws snap and the backerboard screws lift off the Hardi off the studd in the last quarter inch of turn. I've never quite figured why it likes to do that, but honestly, don't have the time to learn.

So I just get galvinized roofing nails, and with a big hammer, pound away. They are cheaper than screws, you don't need an extension cord and drill, they go in faster, and come in different lengths, a nice option.

dan stark
11-27-2005, 02:12 PM
I have found that setting the proper cb screws with the loving tap of a hammer and using a cordless impact driver to send them home has saved me a bit of time and ache. :fim:

Steven Hauser
11-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi Ryan,

Good tips about scoring, I'm with Scooter.

BTW you don't want to put it into the joists.

Scooter
11-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Steve, I knew that. Darn, I don't know why I even said it. I actually don't use the stuff on floors, but do apply it directly to studs.

I'm a mud guy for floors. Yep, not a better method, no better product, no better setting bed. Period, no argument, end of story.

pitterpat
11-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Scooter good about the cutting station but I think he's a DIY'er and he may not have all the tools and stuff that you or I have. Also so he probably has more time than we have to do this job.

I'm with Mark1775, score and snap (w/board flipped over).

Both ways are OK just a matter of preference and tools you have.

ryanpresley
11-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Pat's right--I'm a DIY'er...I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. I'll try turning the board over before snapping. I am using a carbide blade and scoring it as deep as I can, but it still crumbles when I try to snap it...I'll flip it over and see how that goes. I kind of like the idea of galvanized roofing nails too. I'll try out the hardibacker screws and if that doesn't work I'll get the nails. Thanks again!!!
Ryan