alternative to tile showers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : alternative to tile showers

adscrantz
08-02-2001, 11:22 AM
John,

I am preparing to build a home, and have always wanted a tile shower because of its beauty. However, after reading about cleaning, sealing, and maintenance, on your site and others, I'm wondering if I should go with an alternative type of shower, but decorate via a tile border to get the look I want. I am specifically concerned about re-sale value, knowing that the master bath is an important room in a home. What is the best alternative to a tile shower?

If a tile shower is properly installed, can it last forever? I understand that the type of drain pan, correct and ongoing sealing, type of tile, backing, installation, and regular maintenance are an issue. My greatest fear is an unknown leak that will cause damage to the walls and floor without my knowledge. If you can't see it, how can you fix it! I suppose these same issues could apply to alternative showers also.

My husband wants to go with fiberglass, but I dislike the look!

Thanks for your valuable time,
Amy

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
08-02-2001, 03:05 PM
A tile shower if constructed correctly will easily out live all of us.

The showers that are failing today are either built with old old methods or not built correctly to begin with.

Materials and methods of today will insure a leak free shower probably for the life of the structure. Taking care of it is no different than maintaining any other shower, all things require some attention from time to time.

I'm not a realtor or appraisor but I'm sure tile showers have a greater value than any of the alternatives when it comes to resale.

John Bridge
08-02-2001, 03:37 PM
Hi Amy,

You might think we're biased around here, but I agree with Bud. Properly constructed and maintained, there is simply nothing that holds a candle to ceramic tile in a shower. Keeping it clean requires some diligence, but as Bud said, everything requires upkeep.

-- fiberglass/acrylic (plastic) gets brittle and cracks.

-- cultured marble (plastic surface) crazes and scratches.

-- natural stone is a pain in the shower.;)
What else is there?