Tile / Carpet Transitions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile / Carpet Transitions

Tile Rookie
08-01-2001, 03:34 PM
I just thought I was finished! I'm not sure if this has been covered before, I cannot find any threads about it. The house I live in, as well as my brothers, have carpet right next to tile that has been folded under. (on concrete slab) My brothers carpet is wearing out and looking very bad. My carpet is still new so it's not to bad. The question is what do you guys prefer where carpet and tile meet. Next question is what can be done as far as a transition with exsisting tile and carpet. I have areas that are in doorways and an entryway that has tile then carpet. Any thoughts?

Matthew

Sponsored Links

Harry
08-01-2001, 04:40 PM
Hi Matthew
Schluter makes many different trims etc. Chck out their site at http://www.schluter.com

Harry

John Bridge
08-01-2001, 05:20 PM
My method is to use tack strip to butt the carpet right up to the tile on the same level. Leave about a quarter inch between tack strip and tile, and tuck the carpet in.

Carpet layers seem to like "Z" metal, which allows you to fold the carpet under ABOVE the tile. I think that causes it to wear sooner.

Either way there is a drawback: you must protect the carpet edge when you clean the floor, or it soon becomes black. A painter's shield works well. Stick it in between carpet and tile when you clean/mop.

adrian_nye
04-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I used the technique John recommended, and I
am finding that I can feel the tacks poking up through the
carpet when I walk over it. Just a warning to others who might try this with
thinner carpet that it won't work.

Mike2
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I've had that happen myself Adrian. Wack them down with a hammer :bonk: , right through the carpet.

Don't hit the tile.

:)

Tool Guy - Kg
04-07-2007, 12:14 PM
What Mike said. :nod: Doesn't take a lot.