Tiling over precast [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling over precast

flatfloor
09-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Bri, I have done lots of SLC over plank and never experienced any cracking. Now I never installed ANY kind of finished flooring on it but the finished floor frequently did not go down for 6 months and I never got any call backs for cracks.

If you go that route check the floor with a transit. Planks frequently bow.

Sponsored Links

Bri
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Another one....1500 ft of 12x12 porcelane....upper floor of office building, over precast floor.....sections are 4 foot wide by 12 ft. Lot's of joints as you can imagine. I have a meeting with the engineer tomorrow...I going to recommend carpet. Any thoughts? Ditra? Mud bed? Take the money and run? :yummy:

flatfloor
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Concrete plank? You'd have to SLC it. Freight elevators in place and operational?

Bri
09-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah Jim, the slc question came up...but how do I stop the cracking that will eventually work it's way up to the tile over all those joints?

Rd Tile
09-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Install Schluter's soft joints over the seams and tile each section on it's own with a nice pattern and charge them at least $10 a ft., extra if you need a membrane, enjoy.:)

Bri
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Now that I;ve found my camera, I'm going to post a picture tomorrow. Everybody likes pictures. :D