Dusting the grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Dusting the grout

LEXX
08-01-2001, 02:41 PM
Have you done this? after grouting and while it is still moist, broadcast the grout(dry powder) on to the floor and let it dry to the top of the grout then sweep it up?

A tile layer said he does this, and it helps on the color
just wanted to know your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.
lexx

Sponsored Links

Rob Z
08-01-2001, 05:17 PM
Hi Lexx

I have never used this technique when grouting. I have been told by just as many people that this is the wrong thing to do as I have been told that it is a good thing to do.

I'll ask John to step over here and give you his take on this. He's been around a lot longer than I have in this business.

My instinct on this one is that the dry grout does nothing but pull moisture from the grout in the joints. Premature drying of the grout results in color mottling and weaker grout.

Let's get some more ideas.

Rob

John Bridge
08-01-2001, 05:23 PM
Yeah, we need some more opinions. I've seen guys do it for years, and I've tried it. I think it's a waste of time, but I could be wrong. (It happened once before.)

It seems to me you end up having to wash more to get the dried grout off the surface, and in the proccess you introduce more water, which is the enemy of any successful grout job.

Rob Z
08-01-2001, 05:27 PM
Lexx

Here is an article by Michael Byrne about grouting.

http://www.jlconline.com/jlc/archive/kitchen/grouting_ceramic_tile/index.html

Hope this helps.

Rob

tileprof
08-01-2001, 07:14 PM
i'v tried this method we call it dry sanding. it works on sand and cement grouts only. it sure gives a full joint. with grouts today with all the additives,polymers etc. it does not work.hydroment used to be good for that.

birddog
08-07-2001, 09:50 PM
materials that aare latex modified will in most cases splotch. The practice of dusting joints was done a lot before modified grouts came along. You would grout then dust and rub the joints giving them an even and smooth appearance.