Grab Bar [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grab Bar

racerettte
05-14-2001, 06:01 PM
Hi, John!
I know I have asked you this in the past, so please bear with me. I want to install a grab bar in my shower, however, I already have the cementboard and tile up in the place where it would go. My friend said it may be too late since I don't have the wood back there to nail it into. (You know what I mean, right?) Anyway, if it's not gonna be good enough to just drill this thing into the tile and cement board, then I will just return it. :-( Please let me know your take on that.

Thanks,
Daisey

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
05-15-2001, 04:32 PM
Hi Daisey,

Glad to see you're still with us. You've noticed, of course, we have a new board, and your website with its pictures isn't on it. Please post the url again so everyone can see what you've been doing. Start with http://

The grab bar will work fine if you anchor it to the tiles either with screws and plastic anchors or with toggle bolts. The units I buy come with both.

You can put a little nick in the tile at the point you intend to drill. It'll keep your drill bit from walking around on you. Use a center punch or a 16d nail. Don't hit it hard -- just enough to pit the glaze.

racerettte
05-15-2001, 08:01 PM
Ok, great. Um, my next question has to do with the trim tiles. I bought some special order tiles and forgot to purchase the trim. So when I went back to order them, they cost just as much as all the tile to cover my shower walls, shower floor, and bathroom floor. I was flabbergasted. So, I did everything I could to cut down on the trim pieces and find other ways to make things work. For the sides of the walls, I went ahead and bought bullnose pieces since they show to anybody standing there, but for the very top and all the way around, I am just sticking with regular tile and was hoping to just smooth some grout over the top or use caulk to seal it. I'm not tall so i can't see what's up there anyway. Do you see a problem with that?

Thanks,
Daisey
P.S. I put my web address in my profile. That's not enough??

John Bridge
05-16-2001, 05:52 AM
I keep forgetting we have profiles here.

A better idea for the top might be a wood moulding, something like a chair rail. Paint it well with enamel. If it's high enough it shouldn't get much spray. The grout will work, of course.

Anybody else have an idea for the top of Daisey's shower?

Bri
05-16-2001, 06:56 AM
Hello
How about continuing the tile to the ceiling?...or adding one more row and using schluter trim?

Bri