Grout vs Versa Bond (OOPS) ? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout vs Versa Bond (OOPS) ?

Nessy
07-31-2001, 08:50 AM
I tried the do it myself route to repair some minor shower tile damage. All was going great until I was cleaning up. I noticed I mistakenly used sanded tile grout instead of my versa bond to stick the tiles to the green board. I did 18 tiles. Question: Do I need to redo the whole job or will grout stick the tile ?

Sponsored Links

kalford
07-31-2001, 11:44 AM
Hey Nessy,
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the grout doesn't have any bond strength for holding tile.It will stay there for a while but eventually would pop loose.

The GOOD news is that it is an easy fix for the same reason.Remove any grout if you have grouted the joints,then start popping the tiles off one at a time.Once you have them all down just scrape the grout off both the wall and the tiles.A 4 or 5" square pointer trowel works great.Then wipe the tiles and wall with a damp sponge to remove any dust or loose grout.Mix up a batch of your..........gulp.....versa-bond and reset the tiles.If there are cuts involved mark them to be sure they go back where they were.

John Bridge
07-31-2001, 04:23 PM
Hi Nessy,

You can prolong the life of your "greenboard" shower by drying it out thoroughly each time it's used.

Bud Cline
07-31-2001, 05:09 PM
Wow another Dallasite!

chip
08-01-2001, 04:09 AM
I'll ask, how do you dry out your "Green Board" Shower?

Art

John Bridge
08-01-2001, 05:53 AM
The same way you dry out any shower.

http://www.johnbridge.com/Ceramic%20Tile%20Showers2.htm