Painting Already Installed Tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Painting Already Installed Tiles

tlgloss
07-30-2001, 11:05 AM
I'm interested in painting the very unsightly tiles in my bathroom and kitchen. Is there products available to do this? I've seen alot of options for painting them before they're installed (firing). Please help...stuck in the 60's.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-30-2001, 04:15 PM
I personally have never run onto a product that will hold up well, especially in a shower area. Maybe some of the others know more about it. We do have this wild cajun/native American painter/remodeler/wine taster/poet who hangs around here from time to time. His name is Sonnie Layne, and if he can't tell you exactly how to paint your tiles (or if you can't exactly figure out what he's talking about), he'll at least give you a recipe for one of the best meals you'll ever have. :)

Wherefore art thou, Sonnie?

Rob Z
07-30-2001, 06:14 PM
Hi Tigloss

I saw an article about a company here in the DC area that specializes in reglazing existing tile installations. They clean the whole thing, mask it off, and spray a new glaze on the old tile and grout. It's similar to what is done to refinish bathtubs.

The cost is reasonable (according to the article I read), but I can't tell you if this is the real thing or just a gimmick.

If you find anything out about this process, please let us know.

rob

Bud Cline
07-30-2001, 09:03 PM
There are many companies around the country that claim they have a handle on this process using epoxy paints. The only one that comes to mind right now is "Surface Doctor", but there are many others. Check the Yellow Pages under Kitchen and Bath Remodelling.

Sonnie Layne
08-01-2001, 08:18 PM
...and I myself, the painter's painter cannot tell you anything other than when you paint a tile surface, you'll have just that...a painted surface. All the hardness and durability will be gone away with your time to accomplish it. http://www.integritycoatings.com provides about the best thing I've researched. a 2 part water borne epoxy. It requires a sprayer, etc, but as I said it's the best I've seen.

Still, and this coming from a painter, you will have a painted surface, not a new tile that can withstand the expected abuses of a tile floor, for instance.

Having said that, I have successfully painted tiled walls/backsplashes etc. Recipe is not simple, and you will still not have a tile surface, but a painted surface instead. If you have further interest in the process, contact me.

In the film biz, we didnt' worry so much about the durability, we just needed it to look right for the camera. By the way, JP, last feature I worked on as a painter was Tin Cups which was shot largely in Humble/Houston. I was on the painting crew which created the bar/lounge/hotel scenery. Not real wood you see there, but faux stuff. Whatever, it only bought 60 seconds or so of film, but the pay's the same.

Now, in real life we have to concern ourselves with longevity of the finish. I'll just say this. If you had a dynamite laquer finish on your vehicle, but tap danced on it at least once a day and washed it 3 times a day, how long would the finish last?

It's possible to tile over tile. Sometimes not, but usually so and as a painter who also does tile work, that's what I'e recommend.

Any questions, contact me.

chip
08-02-2001, 04:28 PM
I saw the Playboy jet once!!!

Art

Sonnie Layne
08-05-2001, 01:55 PM
from the inside???