Testing Kerdi Shower for Leaks [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Testing Kerdi Shower for Leaks

timwalker69
07-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Searched John's book up and down but cannot find info on testing a newly installed Kerdi Drain. I assume the normal, place a baloon(blown up sir) in the drain and fill with water up to about 1"(simulating a hair plug etc) and mark it's level. How long should I wait and how do I determine if it is slow leak (serious ones are obvious) or a slow leak around the baloon? And what is a standard time to wait?

Tim

Sponsored Links

jgleason
07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Tim,

Yep, you can use block the drain and fill the pan with water. Mark your level and wait 12-24 hours, longer if you want. If you install the Kerdi according to the instructions you won't have any problems.

dianelouise
07-29-2005, 05:24 PM
we found a water balloon was the perfect fit for the drain. It was a pretty good sized balloon filled about 1/2 full - so there was plenty of room for the water to squish as we pushed it into the drain. We tried an air-filled balloon, but it kept popping. I was amazed at the amount of water the shower pan held - we had to haul it in 5 gallon buckets - we filled ours up right to the top of the curb. good luck! diane

slb
07-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Apologies Tim,
Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'll be doing a Kerdi shower soon myself and I'm curious as to how one finds the location of a leak (assuming there is one). Look for bubbles?

-Steve

cx
07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Not trying to hijack your thread, but Yeah, yeah, Steve, we've heard that ol' line before........ :rolleyes:

Ain't gonna be no leak.

Ain't gonna be no bubbles if there is a leak.

Don't know how you'll find it if there is one. 'Specially since we ain't got no eye-dee what kinda floor you're workin' on.

If you git a leak, It'll be the first one. We'll figger it out then, eh? :shades:

Now, git back to your own therad! :D

My opinion; worth price charged.

John Bridge
07-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Well, I just happen to know that Tim's shower is upstairs. If it leaks we'll all know about it forthwith. :D

It ain't gonna leak, Tim, but I would not fill it to the top of the curb. You might get a little water over the top and misconstrue it as a leak. If you do get a hair clog, take a shave -- and get that stuff that prevents hair-loss.

Oh, you mean the wife? Oh. ;)

slb
07-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Okay, according to CX and John, there will be no leaks. But if there is a leak, you will not be able to find it. Got it! So, if not for the need to satisfy the inspector, you are better off skipping the leak test altogether (ignorance is bliss!).:D

-Steve