First denshield job [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : First denshield job

Arn
07-24-2005, 08:40 AM
I just bid on a serority house. 2 bathrooms, each with 5 small shower stalls.

I am to do the pans and the tile install. GC is supposed to install DS for me.

Should I avoid this situation? I wouldn't use it, I'd install CBU or float.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links

Davy
07-24-2005, 08:46 AM
If the Denshield was already up, I'd treat it like sheetrock and felt, wire and float over it. :)

Tool Guy - Kg
07-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Arn,
I think you are like the rest of us and don't really like someone else installing the backer for us, irregardless of the fact its DS. You gotta feel comfortable with it.

Someone around here had a neat signature line........said something like, "Advice is asking questions when you already know the answer, but wished you didn't" . 2 cents.... :)

John Bridge
07-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I've mellowed out a little. I used to call Denshield "junk." Don't do that anymore because it's not polite. I still wonder, though, if you drape the material down past the liner to the mud bed, how in the world will you ever keep the edges of the boards from wicking up water? And please don't anyone tell me to put a bead of silicone there. :)

Davestone
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
The way i use it..and i have to cause the builder does...is mud my last 6 inches up to the board with dry stucco mud.My guess is, the mud cracks away from the board leaving a crack that water can't jump up through.I've been using it for three years with monument seats, and niches, and kneewalls, and such, and don't know of any problems so far. :bow: :)

John Bridge
07-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Okay, so what you're saying is the Denshield stops six inches above the mud floor and you mud the walls that distance. Seems to me that should work, for three years at least. ;)

I'm sure the situation here is different. The builder is installing the board, probably all the way down to the subfloor.

Davestone
07-24-2005, 07:47 PM
That's the only thing i could think of on my end to help keep things dry. I don't have the option of picking my backer with him.I guess you could wipe some waterproofing on,but i really haven't seen any problems. :bow: :yipee:

Dave Gobis
07-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Just got back from vacation, saw this, decided to take a few more days off till it goes to where I can't see it on the first page anymore.

MHI
07-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Hi Arn,

You are putting in the pans, then taking a break while the GC installs the backer? For me it would be all or nothing. I would use cement board instead, and its cheaper too. Around here its twice the cost of Durock. You could charge him for the Dens-crap if it would make him feel better.

I have used it in the past for tub splashes, but don't use it anymore. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it for an acrylc pan, and would never use it for a tile floor shower. The instructions say to do what Dave does, mud up the first 6 inches.:)