Grouted unsealed saltillo tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouted unsealed saltillo tiles

Margie
06-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Problem: I purchased unglazed, unsealed mexican tiles for my bathroom. The person that put it down grouted it before sealing. What a mess. I tried cleaners and resorted to a belt sander but the grout (black) has soaked into the tiles. Since I can't clean it I decided to just put squares of tile (linoleum) over it. Any suggestions on how to do this? Possibly a thick layer of adhesive?

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
06-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Margie,
This is a similar dilemna to one in another thread. There may be no way of saving the tile that's already installed but your installer should replace the tile and seal the new tile prior to grouting. I hope your installer didn't leave you with a "taillight warrantee". You deserve to have your tile and should not compromise by covering it with linoleum, if that's even possible.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

Hector Macias
06-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Yes, your installer should definitely be responsible. The only other option short of replacing the entire floor would be to stain the saltillo you have in place. If you darken all of the tiles then it may look like your installer messed up on purpose.

Shaughnn
06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I've seen some pretty atractive stain-jobs. Hector's suggestion is worth looking into.
Shaughnn

Margie
07-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the responses. New question, what would I use to stain the tiles so that they look uniform altho different. Would I smear the same type of grout on them or should I use something different?
The man that did the tile is nowhere to be found. He worked for a tile company and did this mess on the side. Now he's quit and taken off.

doitright
07-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Margie, Welcome! :)

Check with Aqua Mix.

http://www.aquamix.com/contactus.htm

http://www.aquamix.com/as.htm

Hector Macias
07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I need to know what has been put on the tiles first and what look you are looking for. Ideally we prefer to spray stain our Saltillos prior to installation but that is not really an option indoors-you would have to put plastic on everything and ventilation would be a problem. There is a mixture that you can use to stain the tiles in place which looks like a softer stained paste wax that you smear over the entire surface then buff to a gloss or there is an acrylic stain/sealer mixture that you can sponge on and just let dry. You can call me direct at 817-715-3502 or email me a hector@fwbrickandtile.com so can figure out which technique would work best for you. Sorry you have been through so much trouble. We get these calls like these all of the time from people all over the country and I always feel bad for the homeowner- They are the ones who suffer when the installer makes a mistake.

Hector Macias
www.fwbrickandtile.com